How to improve load time of Genesis

Community Forums Forums General Discussion How to improve load time of Genesis

This topic is: not resolved

Tagged: 

This topic contains 24 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  nutsandbolts 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

William
    Participant

First, check out this article on Copyblogger. Next, read the eBook linked in the article. Both will give you a very good insight about WordPress performance.

http://www.copyblogger.com/make-wordpress-faster/

I have a VPS on HostGator and it’s gotten slower as EIG (the parent company of HostGator, BlueHost and other brands) continues to overload the servers. The poor performance just got unbearable, so I switched to WP Engine. Now my sites load in sub-second times.

As mentioned, plugins and other things you add onto your blog that reach out to other sites can have a detrimental impact upo your load time. JetPack is a notorious offender. AdSense takes time. You could be loading content from other sites who – in turn – also have to load content from another site. All of those loads take time.

The post I shared above lets you know what you can achieve with a managed WordPress host and a Genesis theme – without all the other plugins and bloat. It’s more than zippy!

beoleary1
    Participant

Andrea,

I contacted Big Scoots and waiting to hear back, I’ll let you know how it goes.

By the way, I dumped W3 Total Cache and installed instead Super Cache following your set-up instructions. My upload speed was cut to a third of what it was before. BRAVO!

I did notice my performance grade took at hit. It was 92, now it is 86. I suppose for speed there are trade-offs. On balance wouldn’t speed be more important that a downgrade in performance. 86 I assume is pretty good?

Brian

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by  beoleary1.
    • This reply was modified 1 year ago by  beoleary1.

nutsandbolts
    Keymaster

Glad to hear it! I can tell a big difference in the load time today.

Andrea Whitmer, Owner, Nuts and Bolts Media
    I provide dev and training services for web designers • Find me on Twitter and Google+

Mealtog
    Participant

Andrea, so Super Cache performs better than W3 Total then?

nutsandbolts
    Keymaster

Not always, but most of the time it does. W3TC can be a great plugin if the user knows how to configure it, but with its 20 screens of settings, most people have no idea what to do.

I provide dev and training services for web designers • Find me on Twitter and Google+

Mealtog
    Participant

I agree, It took a while to go through each of those settings and I actually found 1 or 2 options that conflicted with other plugins and had to disable them. Almost every benchmark I had reviewed showed an advantage to W3 Total so that was why i asked.

nutsandbolts
    Keymaster

It all depends on the server (and the plugin config). When I had colo servers and offered web hosting, my servers were specifically optimized for WP Super Cache because it was so much easier for my customers. In my opinion, the bigger concern is the number of plugin conflicts; most people just don’t know what to do with that.

Mealtog
    Participant

Good tip. Basically, you are trading off possible problems that may arise with pure performance. Can’t argue with that. Would rather have a smooth running site than a fast one that is broken.

beoleary1
    Participant

Andrea,

I’ve been running with your suggestions and settings for Super Cache for a few weeks now. When I perform a site Audit using Raven Tools, I get failing marks for my Cache Controls. Here is what it says:

RECOMMENDATION: Add an Expires or a Cache-Control Header

There are two aspects to this rule:

For static components: implement “Never expire” policy by setting far future Expires header
    For dynamic components: use an appropriate Cache-Control header to help the browser with conditional requests

Web page designs are getting richer and richer, which means more scripts, stylesheets, images, and Flash in the page. A first-time visitor to your page may have to make several HTTP requests, but by using the Expires header you make those components cacheable. This avoids unnecessary HTTP requests on subsequent page views. Expires headers are most often used with images, but they should be used on all components including scripts, stylesheets, and Flash components.

Browsers (and proxies) use a cache to reduce the number and size of HTTP requests, making web pages load faster. A web server uses the Expires header in the HTTP response to tell the client how long a component can be cached. This is a far future Expires header, telling the browser that this response won’t be stale until April 15, 2010.

nutsandbolts
    Keymaster

You can add expires headers to .htaccess pretty easily: http://www.robertwent.com/blog/servers-and-hosting/45-set-expires-headers-in-htaccess

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.