How to make dropdowns in vertical nav slide out to the right instead?

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks How to make dropdowns in vertical nav slide out to the right instead?

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Tony @ AlphaBlossom 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

marybaum
    Participant

I’m pretty excited that using the hook reference worked as I expected to move the primary navigation at http://sewitseamsllc.com down to the secondary sidebar underneath the logo, and above the widget areas. It was like that in the static version of this site a year or so ago.

I changed the dropdowns’ background and type colors so it’s clear they’re dropdowns and not a mistake, but it would be nicer if they slid out to the right instead of dropping down. (Then they wouldn’t hide other links in the nav.)

I took some tentative stabs at it with the CSS – changing the left: -9999; value, for instance, in #nav li ul, and doing a few other things.

But I’m sadly deficient in JavaScript, so I’m chicken to mess with the Superfish scripts without knowing what I”m doing – and I expect I need to make some changes in there.

Guidance? (Other than get up to speed in js, which is on the list.) ;-)

Be it ever so run down, there’s no place like FriendFeed. ;-)

Tony @ AlphaBlossom
    Participant

Hello, you can set the margins for your submenu:

#nav .submenu {
    margin: -30px 0 0 150px;
    }

Also, your #nav wrap styles are not overriding the standard wrap styles, so your #nav .wrap is still very wide. You can add !important (width: xxpx !important;) after your #nav .wrap width and margin settings.

marybaum
    Participant

Thanks! That did the trick. Also, thanks for reminding me about !important – to wrangle my .nav wrap dimensions into shape.

MB

Be it ever so run down, there’s no place like FriendFeed. ;-)

Tony @ AlphaBlossom
    Participant
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘How to make dropdowns in vertical nav slide out to the right instead?’ is closed to new replies.