How to make the theme reponsive

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks How to make the theme reponsive

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Susan 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

nicole2013
    Participant

I understand that Google will start penalizing sites that are not using a responsive theme or those that do not have another solution for mobiles.

I am using the Modern Blogger theme which is not responsive. I would love to know if there is any chance that it will ever be made responsive (I cannot access the designers site to ask her as it is down).

If the designer has no plans to make it responsive then is there a simple way that I can do it myself?

Jeremy
    Participant

Hi Nicole,

I don’t think you have to worry about Google penalising non responsive sites in the short term. Many high profile websites still don’t have mobile optimised versions. As long as you are producing quality content that people enjoy, link to and share then you shouldn’t concern yourself.

Saying that from a user experience point of view I am a big fan of responsive web design and this is more of a reason in my opinion for you to consider the upgrade. I can’t speak for the designer of the Modern Blogger theme about her plans for her theme, however I can give a few tips.

1) If you are comfortable editing CSS or are willing to learn then yes you can do it yourself. As with most things there are many tutorials that will take you through the process. e.g. Smashing Mag or Fresh til soiled The good thing about this is it will allow you to make modification in the future. However if you have minimal experience now with CSS then this may not be worth your time and headache learning.

2) Another option is to choose and purchase a similar WordPress theme that is already responsive. You then won’t have to edit the code and your site may just need a few presentation tweaks to get it looking great once again. I can’t see your site so it’s hard to give recommendations but StudioPress have many great responsive themes like magazine

3) Finally it may be worth paying someone to do it for you. For someone that know what they are doing it won’t take  long and this will ensure you end up with a responsive site you are 100% happy with.

Good luck with the conversion.

If you want to say thanks Follow me on Twitter | My Website

Susan

Nicole – I provide support over at the Pretty Darn Cute site; I know that Lindsey (the designer) is working on upgrading code for Genesis 2.0, and she has talked about making updates to Modern Blogger, so there is that possibility.

In the meantime, if you would like to submit a support ticket for Modern Blogger, you can do so here:http://prettydarncute.com/submit-a-support-ticket/

Susan @ Graphically Designing I offer theme customizations I tweet!
    I’ve taken up the challenge! – help me answer some of the unanswered posts

Susan

Modern Blogger Pro has been released and is mobile responsive. It’s not an update to Modern Blogger, but retains a lot of the look and feel of the original.

Susan @ Graphically Designing I offer theme customizations I tweet!
    I’ve taken up the challenge! – help me answer some of the unanswered posts

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘How to make the theme reponsive’ is closed to new replies.