How to optimize Optimize CSS Delivery [Google Fonts]?

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks How to optimize Optimize CSS Delivery [Google Fonts]?

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  smkyle1 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

My blog URL is I’m using Google PageSpeed Service CDN to optimize the performance of the blog. However the PageSpeed Insights is recommending the optimization of CSS delivery.

It says:

“Your page has 1 blocking script resources and 4 blocking CSS resources. This causes a delay in rendering your page.”

I can see the code:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- */
    @import url(//,700);

in Genesis: Stylesheet (style.css)

And the following hook that executes in the document <head>

<link href=',700' rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'>

So how can I do that?

WPbeginner has a nice article on this, suggesting you could at least combine the calls to Google.

88 is a fairly respectable speed from Google. You’re minifying html and css. Next steps would include trying a caching plugin and/or CDN. You’ve already got Jetpack loaded so you could use Photon, or try Cloudflare’s free program.

Choose your next site design from over 350 Genesis themes.
    Updates via | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply…

Earlier today I optimized little bit.. I was able to find the unused Google Font code and removed it… So now I can see only one reference to Google Font API website and that’s for the current font.

And yes, I’m already using a caching plugin (W3 Total) and a CDN (Google PageSeed Service) to optimize the content. So all the images and content is delivered from the Google server.

One more thing…

Yes, I understand that 88 is a good score… but the question was about the reference to unused Google Fonts.. But then I noticed the same in Functions.php and removed it.. So now it’s clean…

Ah, you didn’t mention that the fonts were unused and you wanted to remove them completely. Good to hear you got it accomplished. :)

I do custom WordPress work!
    Contact me directly:

Hi Lauren,

Actually I didn’t know that those fonts were unused. I thought it was used by the theme to show some text at some parts of the blog… So I checked all font styles manually and realized that it was unused. :)

That’s how I realized that the one I removed was the default google font used by the theme. So I replaced it with my custom google font.

What tool did you use to help you to determine that the Google font was unused?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.