How to Prevent Page Title Display on Single Page?

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks How to Prevent Page Title Display on Single Page?

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Marc 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

William
    Participant

Hi,

Does anyone know how I can prevent the display of a Page Title on a given WordPress Page?

Susan

Try this:

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/hide-page-title-on-only-one-page

Susan @ Graphically Designing I’d love to customize your website! I tweet!
    I’ve taken up the challenge! – help me answer some of the unanswered posts

William
    Participant

Thanks.  I looks like it should do it, but doesn’t quite seem to work.

I’m trying to remove the title from my 404 error page (try http://test.beem.us/snot for example). I found the post number for my 404 page and replaced it in the line given on that topic and put it in my styles.css.  Still get the page title, though.

Susan

Next up ;) – try this thread (from in this forum not too long ago):

http://www.studiopress.com/forums/topic/remove-page-title/

Susan @ Graphically Designing I’d love to customize your website! I tweet!
    I’ve taken up the challenge! – help me answer some of the unanswered posts

William
    Participant

Thanks. That one didn’t show up in my searches.  It looks like it removes all page titles, but I’ll see if I can tweak it to just remove the one I want.

Really appreciate the help!

GJudy
    Participant

A wonderful woman posted this in the old forum

<?php

// Template Name: noTitle

// Remove the page title
    remove_action( ‘genesis_post_title’, ‘genesis_do_post_title’ );

genesis();

I can’t get in there to get her name and give her credit, but the little php works for me.  I upload the save php page to the theme and schzam I have a different page template that says no title. I suppose you could name it something cuter, but I’m the one who sees it.

I’ve done the quick and dirty method of leaving the page title blank.  You can change the permalink.  But, if there are very many, keeping track of them leads to stress (that’s putting it mildly).

John
    Participant

William,

On that test site are you trying to remove the 404 in the H1 tag that is just above the 404 image? Or the title that says, “A Place to Play Around”?

John

John Sundberg | blackhillswebworks.com
    A WordPress developer’s toolbox: Firebug | WordPress Codex | Google ;)

William
    Participant

GJudy:  Thank you.  As a new member, I’m locked out of the old forum, so I really appreciate you checking this for me.  I’ll give it a shot.

John: I’m trying to remove the 404 in the H1 tag just above my image. It’s not a major deal, but one of those little details that I’d like to clean up. With the big 404 in the image, the page title is a bit unnecessary.

John
    Participant

You could make a copy of the Genesis 404.php, remove the H1 tag, replace everything inside the entry-content DIV with your image, and put that in your child theme folder.

Or a simpler way would be to add this to your style.css file:

.post-505 h1 {
    display: none;
    }

William
    Participant

John. thanks for the suggestions.

I’ve tried that CSS before. In fact, it’s in the page now, but it doesn’t work. Editing the Genesis 404.php may also be a solution. I didn’t think there was such a file, but I was looking in the Minimum theme folder, not the Genesis theme folder.

I’ll give it a shot. Thanks.

John
    Participant

You’re welcome. Don’t want to beat a dead horse here, but I don’t see that particular code in your CSS. Are you sure it’s in there?

You could also give it a boost by adding an ID to the selector:

#content .post-505 h1

William
    Participant

Yep, it’s at the bottom of the styles.css file on williambeem.com.  I tried adding #content as you just shared, but still no change.

John
    Participant

Ahh, that’s a different website than the test site you linked to earlier. Try this instead:

#content .post-9789 h1 {
    display: none;
    }

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  John. Reason: added code tags
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  John. Reason: added code tags

William
    Participant

OK, well now I just feel silly.  I tried that suggestion on the test site (before you mentioned adding #content) and it didn’t work. When I posted it on williambeem.com, I forgot to check that the page number would be different.

Glad to say it works! Thanks very much for your help, John. I appreciate it.

Marc
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.