How to vary content in widget areas based on the page

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks How to vary content in widget areas based on the page

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  David Chu 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

jalperin
    Participant

I’m building a small, mostly static site, and I want the content in various widget areas to vary depending on what page it is.  For example, my child theme includes a “before footer” area.  On the About page, I want the content in “before footer” to be content which relates to the About page and on the Contact page, I want the content in that area to be different.  What’s the preferred way to approach this?  While I’m a WordPress and Genesis newbie, I’m very comfortable with PHP coding.  I just need to know how/where to start.  Thanks for any help!  –Jeff

David Chu
    Participant

The simplest way to make something akin to this is to use the Genesis Simple Sidebars plugin. I have one designer client who goes totally crazy with this, and makes different sidebar content for every page. (To me, that’s very extreme.) :-) The only limitation of that is that it’s, well, sidebars, and not other types of widgets.

So when I want to stick something into a some other area on a page, I’ll use Custom Fields for that, and then use hooks and functions to get that into the template. Unfortunately, that’s well beyond the scope of a short answer, but tuts may be helpful for putting that together.

Dave

David Chu · Custom WordPress Developer – likes collaborating with Designers

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.