How to widgetize category pages?

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks How to widgetize category pages?

This topic is: not resolved

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  braddalton 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

merlene
    Participant

I’m wondering if there is a way to (easily) widgetize the category pages for a site.

For example the site might have 5 categories, I’d like to have a widgets (much like home.php might have) for each of the categories with posts/features for that category on it’s page. So domain.com/category1   would have a home.php style widgetized page with a grid loop and/or slider specifically for that category’s posts; domain.com/category2 would have a widgetized page specifically for category 2 posts/features, etc.

Is this possible?

braddalton
    Participant

Yes it is however it does require a fair amount of work.

Hooking the slider in to display different images on each category archive is easy however creating a grid loop for each category archive is a bit of playing around.

The slider can be done with custom functions and conditional tags or by creating widget areas and then using a shortcode.

I just published a post about it which may help.

Code not displaying? Grab it on Github.

I would copy your home.php template and use that for each category.

What theme are you wanting to use?

merlene
    Participant

Thanks @braddalton I’ll give that a whirl over the next couple of days and I’ll post back here however it turns out.

I’m planning to use the basic sample child theme and go from there.

braddalton
    Participant

You might need to hook in the grid loop using a custom function with a conditional for categories.

Be very interested to see how you do it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.