HTML5 Navigation and IE Compatibility Mode

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks HTML5 Navigation and IE Compatibility Mode

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  chalfant 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

jondonley
    Participant

Hello!

I’ve been unable to find anyone else with the following question on these boards but: has anyone else noticed that Genesis 2.0 HTML5 templates don’t display navigation menus horizontally in Compatibility Mode?

Does this mean that this is what users are seeing with old versions of browsers/IE that are not HTML5 compatible?

Compatibility Mode Off:
    Compatibility Mode Off

Compatibility Mode On:
    Compatibility Mode On

Thanks for your help!

• This topic was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  jondonley.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  jondonley.

RobG
    Participant

Well it is not good practice to use out dated web browsers for a number of reasons. When I build a website I build according to the mose recent browsers.

To speed up the process please post the link to the website in question.

We recommend using Firebug to view source codes http://getfirebug.com/

RobGoss WordPress Developer
    We build WordPress websites for your business or personal goals
    http://www.robgoss.com / Follow me Twitter / https://twitter.com/robgoss

jondonley
    Participant

In an ideal world, yes, we would all use the most up-to-date browsers. Unfortunately most of our audience won’t be up-to-date! So I’m hoping that there is a fix to this so that we can have navigation menus look the same (or at least resemble) the way we see it on an HTML5 compliant browser.

Any ideas?

pagerank
    Participant

I am having the same issue. Did you find a way to fix this?

codezen8
    Participant

Although it’s nice to say you should only support newer browsers, that is not an acceptable option for a lot of sites. Many of my corporate customers must still use IE including IE7 for internal applications that don’t run in compatibility mode. They also do not generally allow their users to use any other browsers.

IE7 does not support display:inline-block. To fix this find the style for the menu, and after display:inline-block; add the lines for zoom: and *display:

.genesis-nav-menu .menu-item {
        display: inline-block;
        zoom:1;
        *display: inline;
        margin: 0 -4px 0 0;
        padding: 0;
        text-align: left;
    }

This works for me in the HTML5 themes. You can’t just change to inline for all or it won’t work in modern browsers.

chalfant
    Participant

Using the new Magazine Pro theme html5

Well, all I know is that wordpress does not like IE 11 or 10.
    Switching to compatibility mode at times allows for edits but generally I am unable to.

Been trying to build a site for a few months and keep getting error messages from WP that I’m using an insecure browser.
    Chrome or Firefox are not options as they won’t display properly on my computer.
    Relevant?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.