I need help with Genesis Featured Posts Widget. Please advise

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks I need help with Genesis Featured Posts Widget. Please advise

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  braddalton 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

noobcoder
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I would greatly appreciate if you guys can help me with this problem I have been having. I don’t know if anyone else has already found a way to fix this.

I am adding the Featured Posts widget to my News Child Theme using Genesis but when I add it to my homepage it will make the recent posts on my homepage go away.

I am trying to add the Genesis Featured Posts Widget on top of the recent posts to show some of the posts as featured and on top of the recent posts. Is there any way of doing this without making the recent posts go away. Is there any other way I can add featured posts on top of the recent posts?

Please and thank you for all the help.

braddalton
    Participant

You could re code your home.php file or add a recent posts widget into the top widget or easily add another widget area full width or full content width.

Once you populate the home page widgets, you lose the blog effect which lists your latest posts.

Specializing In StudioPress Child Theme Customization.
    500+ StudioPress Tutorials

noobcoder
    Participant

How would I do that?

noobcoder
    Participant

No one has done this before? Please Help.

braddalton
    Participant

Can you please link to your site thanks.

Firstly, take a look at this hook map and make a decision on which hook you want to use as far as positioning your custom widget.

Then you can add that hook to a custom function.

Code not displaying? Grab it on Github.

Please copy the code from the view raw link and paste it at the end of your child themes functions.php file using a text editor like Notepad++

noobcoder
    Participant

Brad I added that code to the bottom of the functions.php file for the child theme and It gave me an error something wrong with functions.php line 139.

I looked at line 139 and it is saying something is wrong with this section of the code you gave me.

genesis_register_sidebar( array(
    'id'	=> 'before-content',
    'name'	=> __( 'Before Content', 'child theme' ),
    'description'	=> __( 'Displays Before Content Home Page Only.', 'child theme',
    >>>>>>> ) ); <<<<<<<<

The code with the arrows pointing to it is line 139. I added those to point out the line of code it is having a problem with.

braddalton
    Participant

Yes, sorry about that. I need to test it to find out.

braddalton
    Participant

Ok try it now.

I have updated the code in the Gist above so you’ll need to copy it again from the view raw link.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.