IE and div tags

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks IE and div tags

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Susan 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

dmassive
    Participant

Let me preface this post by saying I am not a web design expert, I am on the very low end of intermediate so bear with me.

I am using the crystal theme and have customized it to have 3 widget areas in the middle section where originally it was just one. The issue I am running into is that in Firefox it floats the widget areas side by side as it should. However, when I view it in IE, it stacks the widget areas.

After doing some research and finding a few suggestions outside of these forums the consensus was that it’s a doctype issue. I was told that IE treats the <div> tag differently than other browsers. It was suggested that I add <!DOCTYPE html> to the beginning of my home.php file. I tried this and it fixed the issue.

Not being an expert on doctypes (or what they even do), I have the following questions.

1. Why did this fix the issue?
    2. Will using the <!DOCTYPE html> create different issues with the child theme or genesis functionality

Susan

As you have marked this topic as “resolved”, I will go ahead and close it. Please start another topic if you are still having issues.

Thanks!

Susan @ Graphically Designing I offer theme customizations I tweet!
    I’ve taken up the challenge! – help me answer some of the unanswered posts

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘IE and div tags’ is closed to new replies.