If you have Multisite.. you really have to make updates on each sub-site?

Community Forums Forums General Discussion If you have Multisite.. you really have to make updates on each sub-site?

This topic is: resolved

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  computerkitten 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

computerkitten
    Participant

Is this how Multisite really works… that if I have a page that needs to be edited of content on the “mother” site… then I have to also manually edit the content on the “child” site too?  I thought Multisite would allow you to share content across the mother site and child site without having to make updates on each one.  Please tell me that is not how this works.  I do understand its better for WordPress updating… but what about updating content?

Thanks,

CK

nickthegeek
    Keymaster

Multisite is just that, multiple sites. Each site uses the same install and can share plugins, themes … but content is seperated. There are some plugins that allow for some level of content sharing, but this is breaking the intended functionality.

Think of how it works at WordPress.com. Many different sites being run on the one version of WordPress. Each admin can independently control their site within the controls allowed to them. That is the purpose behind multisite.

Andrea Rennick
    Keymaster

I thought Multisite would allow you to share content across the mother site and child site without having to make updates on each one.

No – that is not what multisite does. Multisite is what wordpress.com uses to let people sign up for individual sites in one installation.

**forum signature**
    If you need technical support for your theme please file a ticket.

The forums are community based. Staff only monitors the forum for issues relating to the forum itself and to redirect users to where they need to go.

Twitterholic

computerkitten
    Participant

Okay thank you both for clarifying that!  Andrea told me about that Replicator plugin… I will look at that some more.  I was hoping that the “mother” site of pages would populate somehow to the “child” sites but it sounds like that is not the case.  Okay now that I know how it works, will move forward.

Thank you very much.

Computerkitten

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘If you have Multisite.. you really have to make updates on each sub-site?’ is closed to new replies.