Installation in root folder but keeping private until ready to go live

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Installation in root folder but keeping private until ready to go live

This topic is: not resolved

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  AC 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Tracy
    Participant

I have just purchased the Clip Cart theme and Genesis Framework for a new web project. The client has an existing website built in CMS that I want to leave alone and keep public until I am ready with the new WordPress site. My question is this, Is it possible to install it in the root directory with the other site files at the same time and have it private until I’m ready to delete the other site? Thankyou

AC
    Blocked

Well, the URL won’t work properly I don’t think and you shouldn’t mix your files. I would recommend installing it in a subfolder (i.e., wordpress or wp). Work on it from there and then when you are ready to go live – point the domain name to the subfolder instead of the root. You can install the plugin called “Private Only” so it would be private and only you would be able to see it until your turn private only off.

Tracy
    Participant

Yes, thankyou for your reply. I think I knew that but thought I’d ask anyways.

Tracy
    Participant

Further to my question and your answer… you said “when you are ready to go live – point the domain name to the subfolder instead of the root” how would I do that? Is  that with the domain registrar like changing the nameservers?

AC
    Blocked

On your hosting account – your domain name is pointed to a folder on the server. Locate that and change it to the subfolder. Your hosting company can guide you through that.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.