Installing updated child theme

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Installing updated child theme

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Lilly21 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Lilly21

Hi All – I have a child theme that just came out with a new updated version. The theme does not automatically update. I have to install the update myself. I was told that I should copy the current CSS file and compare it to the update so that I can go back and paste in customizations that were made for me.

I’ve updated the zip file of the updated child theme into wordpress, but when I click on it, it looks horrible. Nothing like it should and so the designer said that I should update the new file through Filezilla and overwrite (?) the old child template. I’m sort of afraid to do this because it doesn’t seem like there will be a way to go back if I mess up?

So my question is why doesn’t this look correct when I updated the new child theme version through the WP dashboard? I current own and am running the older version of this same child theme.

Thanks in advance for any advice and help. I really want to learn..

http://www.feelingfoodish.com

braddalton
    Participant

You could rename the new child theme folder and the name inside the style.css file in the new theme as well and install it separately first to test it.

Is the new child theme HTML 5 and the old XHTML?

Lilly21

Hi Brad -sorry for the delayed response. I was speaking with someone on e-lance and think I have figured out the problem. It seems that my customizations were added to the style.css master instead of the CSS Editor area and so now to update the theme, all the customizations and formatting are gone.

There doesn’t seem to be an easy fix at this point! Ugh!

braddalton
    Participant

Its always best practice to use a child theme for this reason.

Who modified the code and then updated it?

Lilly21

The designer of the theme that I’m running.

This is what I was just told by someone on e-lance. He said that I can’t simply install the child theme update because the customizations and formatting where not placed in the CUSTOM CSS spot. From what I understand, the child theme css was modified not the parent framework but it should have been done in the customizations area not in the child theme itself.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.