Intro to Firebug

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Intro to Firebug

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  cehwitham 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

cdils
    Participant

Hello fellow StudioPress peeps,

I wanted to introduce you to a design tool that I couldn’t live without: Firebug. It’s a free browser plugin for Firefox (there’s a version for Chrome, too) that lets you inspect HTML and CSS elements for whatever page you’re on. You can even edit your CSS right in the browser to see how changes will look.

If you’re customizing a StudioPress theme, this little tool will save you TONS of time. You can quickly track down elements with too much padding or figure out where you need to make color changes to your stylesheet, etc.

There’s an introductory video (and a download option) here: https://getfirebug.com/

Happy theme customizing!

Carrie

Have you been helped in this forum? Pay it forward and answer someone else’s question. I bet you’ll know the answer to at least one question. :)

I tweet @cdils.

cehwitham
    Participant

It’s also worth pointing out that in Firefox you an do “inspect element” by right clicking on an element without the need to install Firebug. The benefit of Firefox’s version is that you can select the desired hover state for links so you can inspect how links behave which you can’t do in Firebug to my knowledge at this time.

Twitter: cehwitham Web: cehwitham.com

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.