is_main_query returning false when trying to show must one category on home…

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks is_main_query returning false when trying to show must one category on home…

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jared Williams 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

dwood
    Participant

Hi folks,

Based on various tips found on the web, I added this code at the end ofMetro’s functions.php (Genesis 1.9.1) to try to show only one category on my home page…
    add_action( ‘pre_get_posts’, ‘only_show_algemeen_on_home’ );

function only_show_algemeen_on_home( $query ) {

if ( $query->is_main_query() && $query->is_home() ) {
    $query->set( ‘cat’, ‘1’ );
    }

}

But it looks like is_main_query() is returning false here, as the list of posts is NOT limited to cat 1 unless I remove that half of the if().  And if I simply remove is_main_query, that breaks other stuff, like whether menus are shown, so that’s not a solution either…

Any clue what I’m doing wrong here…?

Thanks,

David

Jared Williams
    Participant

Can you provide a link to your site?

Metro uses the Featured Posts widget for all of the sections so adjusting the main query wouldn’t work. If you want to only show 1 category you can choose which category from within the widget.

Or, are you just showing posts?

dwood
    Participant

Hi Jared,

Many thanks for responding…

Sadly enough, can’t show you the site at the moment as it’s planned to go live Sunday evening late and I don’t have a proper test env…  :-(

But to answer your second question, I’m indeed just trying to show a list of recent posts from cat=1, so not making any use of the Featured Post widget yet.

Cheers,

David

Jared Williams
    Participant
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.