layout strategy advice

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks layout strategy advice

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  design_agency 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

design_agency

hiya~

looking for some advice on a page layout.

i’ve added navigation to the content area of my portfolio pages and i’m happy with the look of it. i’ve done this by making some style classes and then using them in my individual pages see here.

my concern is that when i hand the site over to my client, i anticipate that he is going to accidentally bump into some of the code when making revisions to the text.

what im wondering is — is there a better way to include the secondary navigation (previous/next and the portfolio links at the bottom)? can this be “hooked in” or otherwise coded so as not to appear in the page content box?

i’d appreciate any advice.

thanks,
    emily

braddalton
    Participant

Yes.

Please paste your CSS code for your links in a Github Gist and embed it here or link to it.

Here’s a guide to how to hook in the links http://wpsites.net/web-design/different-ways-to-add-post-navigation-pagination-in-genesis/

design_agency

wow! ok, that’s a great tutorial. by looking at the link i sent along, is everything in there for both of the secondary navigation lines i’ve got now?

and here is the code that’s currently in my content box (is that the code you were asking for)? is this the best way to point to github?

thanks so much,
    emily

braddalton
    Participant

There hard coded links in your HTML. Why?

I would use any of the examples on the post i linked to and style theme anyway you like.

You can then change the hook position and float them right.

Github link or embedded code in a Gist are both fine.

design_agency

ok, i think i’m getting this, however, all of the nav i’m adding is on my portfolio pages which don’t allow me to use categories. i’ve found a tutorial about adding “types” to the portfolio, would that work? if not, could you point me in the right direction to add categories to my portfolio pages?

design_agency

scratch that—found one… sorry for not looking more before asking.

http://dreamwhisperdesigns.com/genesis-tutorials/add-taxonomy-minimum-theme-portfolio/

design_agency

hi brad,

i’ve been trying to figure this out on my own but im spinning my wheels. when i add this code from your tutorial it works, of course, but it adds previous / next to *all* of my portfolio posts. what im after is to have previous / next links for only 3 pages within my portfolio to appear above the post content (see schematic here, links circled in red).

i’ve created a category for these pages (glass) and thought if i used ‘glass’ conditionally it would work. but i must be missing something. i’ve been scouring your site for clues but i’ve really hit a wall. the most recent code i’ve got in my functions.php is here.

page im trying to add this nav to is here.

any chance you can spot whats up?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.