"Leave a Comment" Code Snippet doesn't work

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks "Leave a Comment" Code Snippet doesn't work

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  WiggleChicken 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

WiggleChicken
    Participant

Hola!

Any suggestion as to why pasting the “Leave a Comment” Code Snippet into my functions.php file doesn’t work?

My site isn’t live, so you can’t take a peek. But all I did was copy, paste, change the text to just “Comment,” and then upload.

It should work. I’m using eleven40, although I doubt that matters. This is what I used:

`/** Modify the comment link text */
    add_filter( ‘genesis_post_info’, ‘post_info_filter’ );
    function post_info_filter( $post_info ) {
    return ‘[post_comments zero="Comment" one="1 Comment" more="% Comments"]‘;
    }
    `
    Thanks!

WiggleChicken
    Participant

I’m having the same problem with the post-meta Code Snippet that’s supposed to let me remove “Filed under.”

I just submitted a support ticket, since I’m anxious to get this figured out. I’ll post back here once I learn why these code snippets aren’t working for me. :)

WiggleChicken
    Participant

Support told me that the Simple Edits plugin overrides any functions code that I add to functions.php. I’m not sure why it would do that, but it does. That’s why the Code Snippets weren’t working.

So I removed the plugin. But the only thing that displayed under my post title was the comments link. The link was reflecting the change I made via the snippet. However, the date and categories aren’t showing up.

I thought Simple Hooks would take care of this, but now I have two comments links displaying. So one problem was kind of addressed, but now it has a friend.

Hopefully they can help me iron it out. :)

kworthington
    Participant

I am having the same problem – changing “Leave a Comment” to simply “Comments” – though I am using a different snippet:

//* Modify comments header text in comments
    add_filter( ‘genesis_title_comments’, ‘custom_genesis_title_comments’ );
    function custom_genesis_title_comments() {
    $title = ‘<h3>Comments</h3>’;
    return $title;
    }

This is on the Executive child theme. I’d really appreciate some help. Thanks.

WiggleChicken
    Participant

I copied the comments header code snippet and pasted it into my functions file. It worked without any problems.

I started this thread in reference to the comments link in the post-info section under the blog post title. But you want to change the comments header text and not the post-info link, right?

Your best bet is to start a new thread or submit a support ticket. :)

kworthington
    Participant

Thanks, WiggleChicken – I appreciate the reply.

My client actually decided that the LEAVE A COMMENT block shouldn’t be at the top of the Executive theme’s posts, so I simply removed it. If this comes up again, I will certainly submit a support ticket.

Thanks again.

WiggleChicken
    Participant

It sounds like you were trying to change the comments link in the post-info code just under the post title. The code snippet you included above is for the comments header. If they change their mind, just grab the first code snippet that says Comments Link.

I’m actually a fan of placing the comments link at the bottom. Some sites do both, but I think it’s cleaner at the bottom.

Anyhoo, post back here if you need help. It’s really just a matter of grabbing the other code snippet, but I’d be happy to lend a chicken foot should you need some guidance with that.

Cheerios! :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.