Limiting Length of FIrst Post on Eleven40 Home Page

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Limiting Length of FIrst Post on Eleven40 Home Page

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  gh5649 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

gh5649
    Participant

Using the Eleven40 theme – is it possible to limit the length of the first post on the HOME page?

See the demo for an example:

http://demo.studiopress.com/eleven40/

In this example -the first post is too long (for my intended application).  I would like to limit the post content character limit of the FIRST POST just as I do the remaining posts are – shown on the front page.

Is this possible?

wp guy
    Participant

Have you tried just using a line break?

gh5649
    Participant

Thanks wp guy – but I am not trying to limit the horizontal length of a line.

I am trying to show – for example – only 500 characters of the first page post – instead of the entire 5000 characters that make up that post.  I do not want the entire 5000 characters to appear on the front / Home page.

gh

wp guy
    Participant

Yes, and and the “insert more” tag should do the trick in your editor. If you have 5,000 words and only want a portion to show, place your cursor anywhere in the text click the “insert more” button. Anything below that won’t show.

gh5649
    Participant

Oh –

Yes, clicking on the WordPress “more” button in the editor enters the command <!–more–>

I have never know this was there as a function of WordPress.  That is a good tip to know.

This will work nicely for me.

Thanks wp guy.

gh

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.