Magazine theme: resize header image space

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Magazine theme: resize header image space

This topic is: not resolved

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Emma1202 12 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

lbrown1179
    Participant

I’ve edited the  CSS in an attempt to make the banner image space 960 px x 250 px, but the image uploader is still cropping the image to 960 × 115 pixels.

the site is at http://www.cursillodsv.net

Here is a screenshot showing Firebug CSS. I don’t undertand why some of the CSS is showing strikethrough. Please advise how to make the image area accept my larger banner.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  lbrown1179.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  lbrown1179.

Brian Bourn
    Participant

In the functions.php file the Magazine theme has:

/** Add support for custom header */
    add_theme_support( 'genesis-custom-header', array(
    	'width' => 960,
    	'height' =>; 115
    ) );

If you change the height to 250 and re-upload your header you should be good.

Bourn Creative | bourncreative.com | Twitter

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  Brian Bourn.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  Brian Bourn.

lbrown1179
    Participant

Thanks, that did the trick.

Any thoughts on how a non-programmer would figure that out? I guess I should’ve thought to check the functions.php page, but it seems there should be a way to change banner sizes within the theme settings – any plans for that functionality on CopyBlogger’s To Do list?

fsm.writer
    Participant

And where would the clueless among us (like myself) find the functions.php file?  (sorry I’m a newbie!)

Charlie
    Participant

From the WordPress dashboard, click on Appearance > Editor, then to the right of your screen you should be able to click on Theme Functions (functions.php).

Make sure to make a copy of the file before making any edits so you can re-upload it in the case you make a mistake and (temporarily) break your site.

fsm.writer
    Participant

Thanks Charlie – I’m going to work on that this weekend!  I especially liked the tip about copying everything first…it’s like you knew I was bound to screw something up.  Which considering my experience….

Emma1202
    Participant

I realize this thread is old, but I have a quick question directly related to the original question.

I have changed my function.php file to accommodate the size of my header (960×250) and changed the css file to also allow for 250px height, but the cream/grey colored band just above the navigation bar is now much much taller as well.

What line of the CSS file do I need to alter to bring that band back down to 15 or 20px or eliminate it all together?

Here is a screenshot of my problem: http://raleighheatingandairrepair.com/resizing-header-issues/

marybaum
    Participant

Emma,

If you use Chrome or Firefox, you can find the line number really easily.

Just highlight the element and either right-click or control-click (old-school Mac) and choose Inspect Element from the popup menu.

Now, you’ll notice that a bunch of code has appeared in two panels: the live html and the CSS. Look for the property you want to change in the CSS, and you’ll see the stylesheet and the line number that control that property right there in the block of CSS.

Hope that helps.

Be it ever so run down, there’s no place like FriendFeed. ;-)

Emma1202
    Participant

Thank you! I’m still a bit uncertain on how to change the CSS. How would I make the blackish background extend lower the whole 250px of the header and the cream band go back to the initial size (15 px maybe?) below that?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.