Making a Test Site

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Making a Test Site

This topic is: not a support question

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  de Paulus 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I’m wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction of how to make a “test” site. Once the site was fully designed, any minor updates I usually have been doing them live. But the site is starting to get a good amount of traffic and I have some major updates to make that I may need to play with to find the right way for it to work. What is the best way to create a test site from the current live site? Can I just copy the WordPress install onto a subdomain? Can I attach it to the same database or do I need to make a new one? I understand this isn’t a Genesis question but I hoped someone here would be willing to help or maybe point me in the right direction.

Do it locally is best.

Install WordPress using or Mamp

Use wp migrate db plugin to migrate your database to your local installation or the export tool

You could also move it to a sub domain.

Thanks. I’m on mac so I’m going to check out Mamp.

de Paulus

If you want to design / test locally I can strongly suggest ServerPress [ ] it also comes with a Full Migration option, however I use it in combination with Backup Buddy [ ] Together they are  a Golden Team.

However, I prefer to use a Live Testing Server, I purchased a domain and cheap hosting, and just upload it to my Testsite, once I’m happy with it, I use Backup Buddy to move it to it’s final place.

The benefits of this, is that you can work on it from any and multiple laptop(s) / computer(s)

Good Luck

.:: the fall never hurts…. it’s the landing that does the damage ::.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.