Managing two completely different sites with their unique child theme

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Managing two completely different sites with their unique child theme

This topic is: resolved

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Cesc Vilanova 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Cesc Vilanova
    Participant

Hi,

I have a blog using a Minimum child theme at cescvilanova.com. It’s hosted at Hostgator.

Now I want to create a different site using Modern Portfolio theme. It will be also hosted at Hostgator but it will use a different domain.

I want to manage them like if they were completely independent sites.

I don’t want to use completely different WordPress uses to manage both sites so I was exploring possible options.

I’ve seen that WordPress offers de “Create a network” feature (http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network) but as far as I understand, it seems more suited to a site where different administrators create their own sub-sites inside a main site.

It looks like WP Hive (http://wpmu.org/introducing-wp-hive-the-wordpress-multisite-alternative/) is what suits better what I need but I’m not sure if I’m missing something or a better option.

Can you give me some advice please?

Thanks in advance,

Cesc.

weslinda
    Participant

If you want to keep them completely separate, why not unique installs for each?  If you’re looking for a way to manage them in one place, check out http://www.infinitewp.com.  It’s a great tool that will allow you to manage all of your WordPress installations through one admin.  You can do backups, updates, and much more for sites on different domains, even different hosts.

Loving the Genesis Life!

Cesc Vilanova
    Participant

Thanks for your quick answer!

I was trying to avoid having to log in and out to manage both sites.

Also, I wanted to avoid having to keep them up to date separately.

Infinitewp looks cool. If I’m not wrong, content creation would still be done through the conventional wordpress interface. I mean that infinitewp interface is only used for management tasks.

Is that right?

Thanks again.

surefirewebserv
    Participant

I think you can do content creation with infinitewp.  Managewp is also another useful solution.

SureFireWebServices.com | Genesis Tuts and More
    Genesis Theme Starter Kit | It’s Free

weslinda
    Participant

You can open the admins of the sites from within InfiniteWP.  Content creation can be done in one place.  It’s a really neat tool.  I have not worked with ManageWP.  The primary reason I liked InfiniteWP is that I can set it up on my own server and the base solution is free.  Which was great to try it out.  Very likely will purchase many of the addons as they add quite a bit of great functionality.

Loving the Genesis Life!

Cesc Vilanova
    Participant

Thanks a lot for the answers. I will try InfiniteWP first as you suggest then.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.