Merge Featured Widget Areas into one in Serenity Theme

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Merge Featured Widget Areas into one in Serenity Theme

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  jodirm 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

jodirm

I’ll start by revealing that this is my first WordPress site (so be gentle :)). My site is http://www.jodimcdaniel.com.

The primary thing I want to know is how to merge the left and right top feature areas into one on the home page. If I change to a static home page, I get the right sidebar layout, but no widget areas on the left. I want the titles above the sections, but think it looks too busy with the two columns at the top. I’ll move the sign up form to the sidebar once I accomplish the merge. What’s the best/simplest way to accomplish this?

Thanks!
    Jodi

• This topic was modified 10 months ago by  jodirm.
    • This topic was modified 10 months ago by  jodirm.
    http://http:www.jodimcdaniel.om

braddalton
    Participant

jodirm

This is helpful, and I was able to add the wider widget area! But since I’m new to all this and I’ve broken the site once by trying to remove things, can you tell me…how do I remove the 2 original featured top left and right areas that now appear under the area that was added?

Thanks again!
    Jodi

braddalton
    Participant

Simply remove this code from the home.php file:
    [php]
    <div id="featured-top">
    <div class="featured-top-left">
    <?php if (!dynamic_sidebar(‘Featured Top Left’)) : ?>
    <div class="widget">
    <h4><?php _e("Featured Top Left", ‘genesis’); ?></h4>
    <div class="wrap">
    <p><?php _e("This is a widgeted area which is called Featured Top Left. It is using the Genesis – Featured Posts widget to display what you see on the Serenity child theme demo site. To get started, log into your WordPress dashboard, and then go to the Appearance > Widgets screen. There you can drag the Genesis – Featured Posts widget into the Featured Top Left widget area on the right hand side. To get the image to display, simply upload an image through the media uploader on the edit page screen and publish your page. The Featured Posts widget will know to display the post image as long as you select that option in the widget interface.", ‘genesis’); ?></p>
    </div><!– end .wrap –>
    </div><!– end .widget –>
    <?php endif; ?>
    </div><!– end .featured-top-left –>
    <div class="featured-top-right">
    <?php if (!dynamic_sidebar(‘Featured Top Right’)) : ?>
    <div class="widget">
    <h4><?php _e("Featured Top Right", ‘genesis’); ?></h4>
    <div class="wrap">
    <p><?php _e("This is a widgeted area which is called Featured Top Right. It is using the Genesis – Featured Posts widget to display what you see on the Serenity child theme demo site. To get started, log into your WordPress dashboard, and then go to the Appearance > Widgets screen. There you can drag the Genesis – Featured Posts widget into the Featured Top Right widget area on the right hand side. To get the image to display, simply upload an image through the media uploader on the edit page screen and publish your page. The Featured Posts widget will know to display the post image as long as you select that option in the widget interface.", ‘genesis’); ?></p>
    </div><!– end .wrap –>
    </div><!– end .widget –>
    <?php endif; ?>
    </div><!– end .featured-top-right –>
    </div><!– end #featured-top –>
    [/php]

Specializing In StudioPress Child Theme Customization.
    500+ StudioPress Tutorials

jodirm

That did the trick…thank you so much!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.