Modern portfolio about box not working right?

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Modern portfolio about box not working right?

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 34 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  hannahransom 10 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author

hannahransom

Hi,

I have modern portfolio theme and currently have a static home page and blog as a separate page. I’d like to change this and have an intro in the “about” box that comes with modern portfolio with recent articles under that.

Whenever I put widget into the about box right now what it does is goes to the blog page that I have and shows NO recent posts under it. What’s up with that?

I know this theme is kind of different with the links being able to just go down the page, but I don’t want that, so I’m hoping that isn’t the solution. Any help?

Also, is there a way to make the widgets in the box populate horizontally? For instance, if I did an image (like picture), a little about, and then a sign up form, would it be possible to have them side by side instead of on top of each other?

http://holistichormonalhealth.com

nutsandbolts

You can use Genesis column classes: http://my.studiopress.com/tutorials/content-column-classes/

Andrea Whitmer, Owner, Nuts and Bolts Media
    I provide dev and training services for web designers • Find me on Twitter and Google+

hannahransom

Thanks! Do you know anything about why the about section is coming up on my (standalone) recent posts page and making all of the recent posts disappear?

nutsandbolts

The Articles page? I’m seeing a list of posts.

I provide dev and training services for web designers • Find me on Twitter and Google+

hannahransom

Whoa, that was so fast! Yes, that is because I do not have the widget enabled right now. I wanted to enable the widget so that I could put my site byline and everything in there but when I enable it it goes to the articles page (rather than home) and takes away all of the posts (so the widget is all you see).

I’m wondering if it is because of having a static front page but afraid to try it because I don’t suddenly want to have a black box with nothing else on my home page.

nutsandbolts

Your theme’s home.php is set to replace the Genesis loop with widget areas if any of the home widget areas are active. Checking to see what you’d need to do to get both the widgets and the loop to show…

nutsandbolts

Probably the easiest way to display posts on the homepage would be to use the About widget (with your Settings > Reading set to show latest posts), then to drop the Genesis Featured Posts widget into one of the other home widget areas and configure it to show a list of posts. If you need more control over what to display, you can install the Genesis Featured Widget Amplified plugin.

hannahransom

That’s why it’s weird. I do want to change the recent posts to home, but it’s weird that the widget is going to recent posts. And it makes me nervous that it is going there and blanking everything else out!

hannahransom

Ok, thanks, I’ll have to play with it a little. I’m not sure if what you are saying is just giving a list of recent posts in sidebar or if they are all below the header/nav/about widget (when I put it in there).

It’s so weird, this tripped me up when I changed themes, too, a lot of the widgets were populated and I couldn’t get to my articles and was freaking out!

Thanks for your help, I’ll be back here if I am still having issues.

nutsandbolts

No problem. I’m still not exactly sure what it’s doing versus what you want it to do, so if you put it back in place and need help, leave it there for a few minutes and post back so I can take a look at it.

hannahransom

Here I’ll do it so you can check it out and just write “Sorry, be back in a second”… Done, you can check it now.

nutsandbolts

Okay, you can change it back. :)

nutsandbolts

Okay, let me make sure I’m understanding correctly. On the Articles page, you want to show the About widget area at the top, then show posts like normal. Is that correct? Do you want the sidebar to show?

hannahransom

I am planning on putting the articles on the home page w/ home type info (who I am, pic, opt in, what this site is) in the about box and then doing recent articles under that. I have just had the two (home and article) separate for a while, but I’m sick of it and thought the about box would be a good way to have that home info.

So basically no standalone recent posts page, but home is
    Header/nav
    About box with stuff in it
    Recent posts

I also do not want to use the hashtag nav that makes it scroll to different sections. I hate that for some reason.

Just FYI, I have an interview in about 10 min so if you don’t here from me for an hour after that and have a question that is why :)

nutsandbolts

Good luck on your interview! I’m working on a fix right now. Hopefully I’ll have it for you by the time you get back.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.