modifying location of sidebar

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks modifying location of sidebar

This topic is: resolved

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Anita 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

mandomat

Hi, I am trying to rebuild this old site using the Genesis framework in WordPress and am having difficulty figuring out how to move the sidebar so that it runs all the way to the top and bottom of the main .site-container, left of the header. I am using the Sample child theme and it seems to me that I have to remove the sidebar from the .site-inner and float it left in the .site-container but I just can figure out how to do that. Everytime I try to place a new div within the site-container, it wraps everything. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Here is what I am shooting for:

http://www.mattwillen.com

Thanks!
    Matt

http://www.mattwillen.com

Anita
    Participant

I know you only asked about pulling the sidebar out of the main area. But looking at your site, I think Sixteen Nine would be a perfect starting point to recreating your site. Just a suggestion. In all my time using SP and participating on the forum, I’ve never seen where someone has asked to pull a sidebar out. So this will be good to know if someone provides the answer for you.

Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!
    Visit me here: Cre8tiveDiva.com | Tweet Me! | Plus Me!
    When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!

mandomat

Thanks for the response anitac. Indeed, I went ahead and got the Sixteen-nine theme thinking, like you, that it would do the trick. The difficulty is that what appears as the sidebar on the left, is in fact, the header repositioned to occupy the left side of the page. When shrinking it down to a tablet or mobile sized page it moves to the top. What I have done, so far, is to remove the header and the navigation from the Sample theme and place the navigation into the top of the content area. That is getting me closer to what I want. Still have a fair bit of work to do, but the landing page is coming together. http://www.certainvisions.com.
    Thanks,
    Matt

Anita
    Participant

Oh it looks good. Now, when I view on mobile, the left image is moving down the page. Once you are all set up for the desktop version, then test out the mobile. If you need help, let me know.

Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!
    Visit me here: Cre8tiveDiva.com | Tweet Me! | Plus Me!
    When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.