Move search bar Magazine theme

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Move search bar Magazine theme

This topic is: not resolved

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  rusticrick 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

rusticrick
    Participant

Hi,

I am using the magazine theme and would like to make to search box more prominent. Ideally I would like it to appear underneath the secondary nav menu, but before the blog content. If I drag the search widget into the ‘Home Top’ widget area, it stops the blog content from displaying.

What’s the best way for me to go about moving the search box, should I register a new widget area that sits between the menu and the content?

ellegaarddk
    Participant

Either that or modify the theme directly.

If you haven’t made any other changes to the theme, I’d go for the a new widget. That way you can safely change or upgrade the theme later on.

Morten Ellegaard Larsen – Designer and solution finder, MRC Computer A/S | Noerresundby, Denmark

“I ain’t no expert, I just know more…”

braddalton
    Participant

Once you populate any of the home page widgets, your posts will stop displaying on the homepage and you’ll need to drag featured posts and page widgets into the home page widget area’s.

However, you could put the search box in the top of the primary sidebar and continue to display blog posts on your home page.

Another option is create a page using the blog page template and select that as your front page using the Reading settings.

You could then create a widget area above your content and display the search box before your content using a genesis hook and conditional tag depending on which pages you want the search box to display.

The best tutorial to follow if you decide to create a new custom widget area is from Nick or Brian.

http://designsbynickthegeek.com/tutorials/add-widgeted-sidebar

The above link provides several options as far as position of the widget area

http://www.briangardner.com/welcome-text-widget/

The above link provides a welcome text widget which you can also use for a search box.

You could also install the Widget Logic plugin which enables you to display the search box based on conditional tags.

Examples:

is_home – home page only
    is_single – on single posts only

Personally, i prefer using Google Custom Search as i find it more accurate than the default WordPress search function.

Please let me know if you get stuck

rusticrick
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestions,

I will give it a go and let you know if I get stuck.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.