Moving secondary nav in Agency Pro

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Moving secondary nav in Agency Pro

This topic is: resolved

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  wildwebwest 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

lucaslem
    Participant

I have set my primary menu in a widget in header right as per the demo

I would like to use the secondary menu above the header. I am using the recommended code which has worked fine for me with other themes:

//* Reposition the secondary navigation menu
    remove_action( 'genesis_after_header', 'genesis_do_subnav' );
    add_action( 'genesis_before_header', 'genesis_do_subnav' );

Sadly, as you can see from this screenshot this does not seem to be working; the “contact” and “français” should be above the header. Any ideas?

Lauren @ OnceCoupled

Can’t be sure without seeing the HTML, but I assume it’s because the header position is fixed.

Best,
    Lauren

I do custom WordPress work! http://oncecoupled.com
    Contact me directly: lauren@oncecoupled.com

lucaslem
    Participant

Hi Lauren,

The fixed position was my first thought as well, but the HTML is not displaying in the order I would expect from the code I used to reposition the menus.

Here’s what comes out:

<header class="site-header" role="banner" itemscope="itemscope" itemtype="http://schema.org/WPHeader">
    	<div class="wrap">
    	<div class="title-area">title stuff here</div>
    	<aside class="widget-area header-widget-area">
    	<section id="nav_menu-2" class="widget widget_nav_menu">
    	<div class="widget-wrap">
    		<nav class="nav-header" role="navigation" itemscope="itemscope" itemtype="http://schema.org/SiteNavigationElement">
    			<ul id="menu-navigation" class="menu genesis-nav-menu">
    			Main nav items all listes here
    			</ul>
    		</nav>
    	</div>
    	</section>
    	</aside>
    	</div>
    </header>

<div class="site-container">
    	<nav class="nav-secondary" role="navigation" itemscope="itemscope" itemtype="http://schema.org/SiteNavigationElement">
    	<div class="wrap">
    		<ul id="menu-toolbar" class="menu genesis-nav-menu menu-secondary">
    		Secondary nav items listed in here
    		</ul>
    	</div>
    	</nav>

<div class="site-inner">

ETC...

As you can see the secondary nav does not get bumped up above the header as I would expect. I downloaded a fresh copy of the theme with demo content to rule out any other customizations errors I may have made, but I get the same result.

lucaslem
    Participant

I’ve gone ahead and also removed all CSS which affects positioning. No dice; the html is still still the issue here.
    The remove_action works just fine. It’s the add_action which does not seem to be doing anything. Would love any other ideas on this.

lucaslem
    Participant

Ok, fixed. In case this helps anyone else I will share that I overlooked the priorities used in this theme for the menu positioning:

//* Reposition the header
    remove_action( ‘genesis_header’, ‘genesis_header_markup_open’, 5 );
    remove_action( ‘genesis_header’, ‘genesis_do_header’ );
    remove_action( ‘genesis_header’, ‘genesis_header_markup_close’, 15 );
    add_action( ‘genesis_before’, ‘genesis_header_markup_open’, 5 );
    add_action( ‘genesis_before’, ‘genesis_do_header’, 10 );
    add_action( ‘genesis_before’, ‘genesis_header_markup_close’, 15 );

I just needed to add a higher priority to the secondary navigation menu to make it appear above the header.

wildwebwest
    Participant

Hi Lucas, thank you for documenting what worked for you on moving the secondary nav in agency pro above the header area. I had posted a couple months ago an inquiry but never received any response. This will help. THANKS!

Wild Web West, LLC
    #IHeartGenesis

wildwebwest
    Participant

So Lucas, would you be able to tell me what exactly you did to get the secondary nav in a higher priority position? I adjusted my functions command to this:

//** Move Secondary Nav Menu Above Header */

remove_action( ‘genesis_after_header’, ‘genesis_do_subnav’ );
    add_action( ‘genesis_before_header’, ‘genesis_do_subnav’, 1 );

How exactly did you facilitate adding a higher priority to the secondary navigation menu to make it appear above the header? My secondary menu is still showing below the header and I wanted it above the header in my agency pro theme. Thanks for any tips.

Wild Web West, LLC
    #IHeartGenesis

lucaslem
    Participant

You’re almost there!

If you specify genesis_before_header you’re actually putting it inside the header element. What you want to do it place before that so you need to specify genesis_before.

The code looks like this:

remove_action( 'genesis_after_header', 'genesis_do_subnav' );
    add_action( 'genesis_before', 'genesis_do_subnav', 1 );

One more thing, you will need to tweak the CSS for the header (class= .site-header) as it is set to fixed and your secondary menu is going to be hidden beneath it.

wildwebwest
    Participant

Ah haaa! Thank you so very much Lucas. I’ll give that a spin and all makes sense. I really appreciate your response. Have a great day!

Wild Web West, LLC
    #IHeartGenesis

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.