Musician/Band WP Site, e-commerce & downloads

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Musician/Band WP Site, e-commerce & downloads

This topic is: not a support question

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  braddalton 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Kent
    Participant

I’m wondering if anyone’s had any experience working with ecommerce and digital downloads in the WordPress/Genesis realm and/or creating band/musician sites for WP.

I have a client that is currently running his site on WordPress, but is hosting/selling his music externally via another service (Vibedeck). He’d like to bring it all under his own roof – so to speak – and manage everything from his own site/server.

I notice there’s a nice looking and well rated e-commerce plugin, WP E-Commerce, but I’m wondering if anyone has any experience providing track samples via any plugins.

Thanks,

-Kent

Dad. Biker. Designer. | kentfackenthall.com | Circle me on Google+, and say hi so I can add you to my WordPress circle!

Anita
    Participant

Hi Kent, I have a Grammy Award winning artist as a client and the one thing we decided NOT to do – is to combine everything into the one website – at least house everything – but use widgets, etc. to integrate. The reason being is that if the site ever went down – so would the ability to sell music. If selling music is a top priority – I would look at the other options your client could use that could easily be integrated into WordPress such as Nimbit, Reverbnation, Bandcamp. They offer ways to integrate the shopping carts, stream music and probably can track sales and download much better. The other thing about housing your own music – you have to make sure you have a great host and be very secure to make sure the MP3s cannot be downloaded. We started out on one host and next thing I knew – I did a Google search and the ENTIRE CD was on pirated websites. We had to shut them all down.

Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!
    Visit me here: Cre8tiveDiva.com | Tweet Me! | Plus Me!
    When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!

Kent
    Participant

Anita,

Wow, that’s really interesting to hear. Thanks for that. I would have thought diversifying to multiple sites would make things an headache and make it harder to maintain a consistent appearance/profile for the artist. Definitely good to know. Thanks for responding.

-Kent

Dad. Biker. Designer. | kentfackenthall.com | Circle me on Google+, and say hi so I can add you to my WordPress circle!

braddalton
    Participant

You might like this http://www.rollingstones.com/

Built on WordPress By Simon Wheatley @ http://codeforthepeople.com/ and using http://www.bravadousa.com/

Specializing In StudioPress Child Theme Customization.
    500+ StudioPress Tutorials

Kent
    Participant

Brad,

Thanks for that. Truly a sharp and impressive site. And Bravado looks cool. Alas, I’m thinking overkill/overbudget for my particular client.

Appreciate the link though – and nice to know that WordPress is at the top of the heap in terms of site development with some biggies out there!

-Kent

braddalton
    Participant

Yes. Its a bit of inspiration but must have cost an arm and a leg.

Specializing In StudioPress Child Theme Customization.
    500+ StudioPress Tutorials

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.