Need "learn more" link in post excerpt

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Need "learn more" link in post excerpt

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Debra Scott 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

streetfire
    Participant

I am using the Eleven 40 theme and would like to have a “Learn More” link in the post excerpt. I manually put in <a href> code and grabbed the post link, but it seems there should be a much easier way to build this in without having to manually copy / paste code and grab the post link for each item. Please advise, thanks!

Debra Scott

You can modify the read more link with custom code http://my.studiopress.com/snippets/post-excerpts/#content-more-link

need help with your business or personal website? Contact me at Fat Cat Designs

streetfire
    Participant

Hi, I looked at that link previously, but it doesn’t seem to apply when using the post excerpt rather than content. There’s not even a link to  “modify” right now. I need to add one to the archive pages.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  streetfire.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  streetfire.

Debra Scott

try this then:

[php]// Replaces the excerpt "more" text by a link
    function new_excerpt_more($more) {
    global $post;
    return ‘<a class="moretag" href="’. get_permalink($post->ID) . ‘"> Read the full article…</a>’;
    }
    add_filter(‘excerpt_more’, ‘new_excerpt_more’);[/php]

you can find codes like this here
    http://codex.wordpress.org/

streetfire
    Participant

Thanks you for the help. I pasted that into functions.php in my child theme, but it didn’t help. Any other suggestions?

Debra Scott

it didn’t help in what way? it didn’t take away the ellipsis or it didn’t have your desired text?

I’m guessing the former since I gave you the wrong code.. sorry about that

[php]function replace_excerpt($content) {
    return str_replace(‘[...]‘,
    ‘… <div class="more-link">Continue Reading</div>’,
    $content
    );
    }
    add_filter(‘the_excerpt’, ‘replace_excerpt’);[/php]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.