New genesis plugin

Community Forums Forums General Discussion New genesis plugin

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 34 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  wmwebdes 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author

Joseph Lee
    Participant

Do you have to leave the plugin installed ( ie are the sidebars created registed in the function.php and the css for width in the css) or are they in style sheet in the plugin. Can you see the registered sidebars in the plugins editor. Can you see the css sheet there?

I don’t wan tto be in another instance like simple sidebar where the sidebars are not registered in the function.php nor anywhere that can be gotten to on WP. Sometimes this plugin causes phantom sidebars… I can’t get rid of ever. I want to make sure I am not lining my self up for the same thing again.

Anita
    Participant

Just found out from another user on the LinkedIn Group that if you remove the plugin, all of your customizations will be deactivated. So that’s it for me… I won’t be getting the Extender plugin.

Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!
    Visit me here: Cre8tiveDiva.com | Tweet Me! | Plus Me!
    When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!

Joseph Lee
    Participant

Wow, that is what I feared. A client could easily uninstall that plugin and the home.php is gone.

Anitac, can I join the linkedin group :(

Anita
    Participant

Sure, just click the group link in my footer.

Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!
    Visit me here: Cre8tiveDiva.com | Tweet Me! | Plus Me!
    When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!

eric1508
    Participant

Hey guys,

I’m actually the developer of the Genesis Extender Plugin and one of our members pointed this thread out to me in our forum so I thought I’d stop by and see if I could address any concerns you have.

First, know that Genesis Extender, though fairly mature in its development in terms of refinement, is quite a new product (currently at v. 1.0.2) so there’s plenty of room to grow. So even if there are things that you would like to see refined or expanded upon there’s a good chance that they will be in the future.

But for the most part I just wanted to introduce myself, let you know I’m happy to answer any questions you might have about the Plugin and hopefully clarify any concerns that may be keeping you from exploring it further.

Regarding the concern about what happens when the Plugin is de-activated. Yes, if you de-activate Genesis Extender then anything the Plugin was affecting (ie. Static Homepage Widgets, Custom Content Areas, Custom CSS, etc..) will, at least temporarily, disappear. I say temporarily because the settings and files will still be in place so once re-activated everything should return as it were before the de-activation occurred.

Now I understand the concern here, but the reason behind this is that this is just the nature of Plugins. They are supposed to “go away” when they are de-activated and this is how Genesis Extender acts. But of course without it being a Plugin you wouldn’t have the HUGE benefits of being able to use it with any Genesis Child Theme.

Having said this, we can certainly look further into the possibility of providing an option that keeps the affects in place, even after the Plugin is de-activated or maybe a way to “lock” it into place to prevent clients from causing issues, as one of you noted in their concerns. But that’s not something that is currently in place, of course.

What I can say for sure is that the majority of people who use Genesis Extender find it to be a huge time saver and a must-have tool for their Genesis powered websites. :)

Eric

Joseph Lee
    Participant

Thanks for being involved Eric! I think our concern is about client websites. You know they deactivate plugins (alot). lol

eric1508
    Participant

Hey Joseph,

I hear ya! :) Yeah, as I mentioned it’s kind of a catch-22 since one of the key characteristics of a WP Plugin is that it “goes away” when it’s de-activated, but one of the huge benefits of Genesis Extender comes by way of being a Plugin (i.e.. being able to work with any Genesis Child Theme).

But like I said I’m open to looking into possible future solutions if a viable one comes along.

Eric

bandj
    Participant

Eric,

For me adding the widgets in the functions.php and css is not hard to do.

Setting up the home or static php page is what takes more coding knowledge. And that’s where the child themes differ the most.

If I could use this plugin to spit out a home or static php page I could use that on any child theme and just add the little code to the functions and css. So once I use this to make my static page, can I find the php code for it somewhere?

Joseph Lee
    Participant

That is a good question Eric. Then we could (if we wanted) copy/paste the code into a file.

wmwebdes
    Participant

Hi everyone

Lively discussion going on here and since I use the Genesis extender plugin on all my sites and all my  client sites, I thought I’d add my two pennies worth – I’m from the UK.

I run a small website design business and deal mainly with local businesses who want a great looking site at a price they can afford.

The genesis child themes (I bought the Pro Plus package) allow me to give them a great looking site and the Genesis extender plugin allows me to give them a customised homepage and make changes to the CSS.

I have no PHP so being able to produce a customised homepage using the Extender, is a real lifesaver for me.

I also love using the Custom CSS function to play with the CSS whilst actually being on the page i.e. I don’t have to FTP new info to my stylesheet and check for results. I see results in real time on the actual page.

Learning how to use the plugin is a doddle – Eric Hamm has produced a series of fabulous videos and he answers any queries you have in the forum.

Bottom line?

If you use Genesis child themes and would like to be able to customise them quickly and easily – then the Extender is the plugin for you.

I’ve written a couple of articles on the Extender, which you may like to read.

A general review – http://www.wmwebdesign.co.uk/genesis-extender-plugin-for-genesis-child-themes/

Creating an EZ static homepage – http://www.wmwebdesign.co.uk/genesis-extender-plugin-create-an-ez-static-homepage/

Hope you enjoy them.

Keith Davis

bandj
    Participant

Keith I’m familiar with your site.  I actually read your review and wrote you an email with a few questions about it, and also his child theme. I have also read some background about Eric also and am confident it does what it does. My concern is that it is still a plugin and sometimes there are conflicts or sometimes they need to be upgraded. Even if it’s just 1 day, a site could be down for that day. I would feel much more secure with a page template.

eric1508
    Participant

Hey guys,

With regard to manually transferring code from Genesis Extender to the Child Theme itself this could certainly work and most of the customizations are hard coded and located in the /wp-content/uploads/genesis-extender/plugin/ directory.

So yes, this is certainly a possibility, but I’ll have to look a little closer and see what the best ways of doing this might be. I’ve even considered adding a “Code Creation Only” settings or something like that where you could just use Genesis Extender to create the hard coded files, but not actually take effect, allowing you to copy/paste directly into your Child Theme, but this is just in my head at the moment. But I’ve added this to my “List” for potential future additions.

Thanks for all the feedback thus far. :)

Eric

wmwebdes
    Participant

If there is a concern about clients deactivating the Extender plugin then maybe a warning could be displayed when the plugin is deactivated…

“Warning – deactivating this plugin may cause problems with the layout and appearance of your website.

Do you want to continue?”

The wording can be refined, but that would be a simple solution.

eric1508
    Participant

Hey Keith,

That’s a good idea, but the implementation would be tricky. Not only am I not sure of a “clean” way to focus that specific functionality onto the Genesis Extender “Deactivate” link (though I have some ideas), even if it was properly implemented it would not account for a “Deactivate All” action that could just as easily be taken in deactivating Plugins.

Eric

bandj
    Participant

I’m not really afraid of them deactivating it. Most are too scared to even click on the plugins. It’s just that as wordpress does updates it’s possible that the plugin would need to be updated also. I don’t know if a Genesis update would be a problem. I would doubt it, but that’s my only worry about plugins, even though I do have confidence in Eric.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.