NEWS theme: breaking long posts into segments

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks NEWS theme: breaking long posts into segments

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ozzy 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

little shiva
    Participant

I’m redesigning a political blog where people tend to write REALLY long articles. I’m using the NEWS theme with the sidebar-column-sidebar layout, so those long articles take a lot of scrolling, and once you scroll down past a certain point there’s nothing left on either side except empty space. This looks really stupid, so I was wondering if there was any way to break long posts into several pieces – each about as long as the content  in either sidebar – for a better-looking reading experience.

On many news sites you have little clickable page numbers at the bottom of long articles. Is there a plugin I can use for that?

Ozzy
    Participant

hello!

you can add the

<!--nextpage-->

tag to break up the content on long posts. the navigation should take care of itself. :)

Brian Bourn
    Participant

No need for a plugin. You can use WordPress’ built in Next Page tag in the HTML editor.

Bourn Creative | bourncreative.com | Twitter

little shiva
    Participant

Thanx Ozzy and Brian. Brian, what does the Next Page tag look like in the editor? I’m not seeing it.

Ozzy
    Participant

it’s the tag i put in my post. you just type it in.

little shiva
    Participant

Oh, I get it now – thanx! That’s a really useful tag: it would be nice to have it added to the visual editor, like the “read more” thing.

The way I did it was to look at the live page, figure out where I wanted the text to break, then go into the html editor and add the tag after the appropriate paragraph. Then I repeated that process for each page. Is that how you do it?

Ozzy
    Participant

yes indeedy, feed the needy!

WordPress likes to keep that tag a secret… ;) (jk)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘NEWS theme: breaking long posts into segments’ is closed to new replies.