NextGen Gallery Alternatives

Community Forums Forums General Discussion NextGen Gallery Alternatives

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 59 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Kingsoul 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)
  • Author

Summer
    Participant

Max Galleria also does video galleries? Wow, you’ve got my full attention with that one!

I’ll be taking a closer look at this plugin… thanks for the tip, Lisa!

eamonmoriarty
    Participant

Also I see that MaxGalleria has a NextGen Importer. If that works well then it is a ‘must have’

Eamon Moriarty
    EM Dzine

Tracy
    Participant

This MaxGalleria looks good to me as well, I have been following this thread and have been having trouble with NextGen upgrades. Does anyone know if portrait and landscape images can be uploaded simultaniously and displayed together in a gallery without the portrait images cropping to match the landscapes. I believe it is called Masonry-style Galleries such as the Nextgen Pro here http://www.nextgen-gallery.com/nextgen-pro/

Lisa at OG
    Participant

Hi there, @eamonmoriarty, as of yesterday they were still working on some kinks with the NextGen Importer but they did release a new version and said the issues were fixed. I’ll be trying it out tomorrow morning and will report back if it worked well or not.

Tracy, I don’t currently see a skin that does both portrait and landscape images in the same gallery; however, the plugin makes it VERY easy to add your own skins and make custom changes to CSS so this is probably something you could set up yourself if need be. Also, they developers in the forum at MaxGalleria seem very responsive to users and it could be a suggestion they might implement.

BTW, we have implemented on two client sites so far and both sites load WAY faster without the NextGen plugin. These guys are using the native WordPress media gallery PLUS I think they are using Ajax because the page doesn’t refresh everytime you click a thumb and the larger image changes.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by  Lisa at OG.
    • This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by  Lisa at OG.

Mealtog
    Participant

Gang, I have found the perfect solution. I have tested almost 10 plugins and none did what I needed. Not only do I want a ligthbox, but I wanted a lightbox that scrolls and is responsive. Plus I wanted a way to control the thumbnail size during posting.

This solution does it! No 3rd party plugin needed, but still need a Wordpres plugin: Best Responsive WordPress Gallery

Let me know how it works for you.

Lisa at OG
    Participant

Okay, so I told you all I would share my MaxGalleria experience w/ you. I just implemented it to a third client site to replace NextGen. I use the MaxGalleria import function to move all my NextGen galleries over to specific galleries on MaxGalleria. Finished in two minutes — everything is there — looks great. No issues. This would be great for anyone who has a lot of galleries in NextGen who want to switch over quickly to a new solution. ;)

Mealtog
    Participant

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for sharing your final thoughts on MaxGalleria. Glad you found something that works.

For simple and free, I still think this works wonderfully. So happy with it; not tied to any 3rd party, responsive; so fast. http://www.studiopress.com/forums/topic/nextgen-gallery-alternatives/page/2/#post-69400

Lisa at OG
    Participant

Thanks for sharing that with us Mealtog. It’s always good to have alternatives. Different people will have different needs and the scrolling is a nice addt’l feature on the JetPack one you suggested.

Mealtog
    Participant

Hey Lisa, Jetpack is nice if your server can handle all the extras but that exact function used to be in WordPress. It was removed and placed into Jetpack.

Lisa at OG
    Participant

Sorry Mealtog, I am a bit confused. The article link you provided sends us to “Best Responsive WordPress Gallery” which suggests installing the Jetpack Plugin? And I think you also have to sign up for a WordPress.com account too?

Ruairi
    Participant

Lisa

Although, I haven’t tried this plugin on the Genesis framework just yet, Justin Tadlock’s Cleaner Gallery which is solid, well coded, future-proof and a great all round gallery plugin.

It’s my got-to gallery plugin and it’s free.

Ruairi Phelan CEO at Cyberdesign Craft.

Tom
    Participant

Lisa — yes, a logged-in connection is required for some of the Jetpack services. I gave up on Jetpack when I found their Photon CDN couldn’t handle .gif’s (for the few that I had reason to use), their publicize tool failed to maintain connections and it all seemed like too much work when there are other good alternatives.

I’m not averse to exploring it again, but a priority would be finding a gallery manger that can deftly handle thousands of images in many small collections.

Choose your next site design from over 350 Genesis themes.
    Updates via GenesisThemes.ca | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr

Mealtog
    Participant

Lisa and Tom, yes, you need the Jetpack plugin to re-activate the carousel / slideshow feature that used to be inside WordPress. Recent updates saw this removed and moved to Jetpack. Note, Jetpack is released by WordPress so it’s a plugin, just not 3rd party.

And yes again. I have also given up on Jetpack more than once. @braddalton and I have had this same discussion. Jetpack is rather large as a plugin. I have also tried Slim Jetpack (a 3rd party developer took the best of Jetpack and re-released it). But I wanted the least amount of risk for breaking WordPress and be less dependent on 3rd party developers to roll out current plugins. I would hope that because Jetpack is a plugin put out by WordPress, there is very little chance of it breaking WordPress itself. We can hope right?

There is actually a solo plugin out there that does exactly what Jetpack Carousel does but again, I am trying to use less 3rd party plugins.

Here is why I now use Jetpack.

1. I don’t find it to be bloated. Maybe my server has lots of resources to handle it.
    2. I like Jetpack Comments and WordPress Connect (allow users to comment using Twitter, Facebook or WordPress accounts)
    3. Carousel (image slideshow in a lightbox)
    3. Spelling and Grammar
    4. Contact Form (replaced the 3rd party plugin I used to run)
    5. Widget Visibility (replaced the 3rd party plugin I used to run – tried one of the most popular logic widget plugin out there and ran into conflicts with W3 Total Cache)
    6. Very interested in Tiled Galleries (have not had time to test it out yet)

Tom, to manage a very large Gallery, the normal Jetpack Carousel may not be sufficient for high demand users. If you do try Jetpack >> Tiled Galleries, let me know how it works out. I would be interested to know.

Here is the link to the actual responsive gallery described in the article above. http://www.ads-links.com/index.php/responsive-wordpress-gallery.html Nice?

• This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by  Mealtog.

Summer
    Participant

There are a large number of people who have no need or interest in signing up for WordPress.com in order to be able to use Jetpack. There are plenty of website designers with lots of clients who don’t want to connect their websites to WordPress.com just to be able to have a working website.

That’s why we use the other plugins from the repository, or find premium ones that come with support and justifiable reasons to sign up for something. I understand the rationale behind it for people who want to host their sites on WP.com, but leave the rest of us a separate bone, fer cryin out loud.

And for me ad-links.com is a questionable site, so Main page is a “For Sale” sign, so that’s an “avoid” flag in my book.

Mealtog
    Participant

@Summer, it’s your choice whether you think Jetpack is worth it or not. I am sharing my own good experiences with it so far and am hoping it helps others who are in the same boat with this current NextGen issue.

Summer, you are mistaken. As for your statement about avoiding the site, the domain you posted is NOT the same as the one we are talking about lol

Edited again, darn auto correct!

• This reply was modified 11 months ago by  Mealtog.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.