NextGen Gallery Alternatives

Community Forums Forums General Discussion NextGen Gallery Alternatives

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 59 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Kingsoul 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)
  • Author

Lisa at OG
    Participant

Summer, this is one reason why we choose not to use Jetpack. We don’t want to sign up for an account when we use a plugin for client sites. I am primarily looking for solutions that will work well, have little conflicts with other popular plugins, and have a user friendly interface for non techie clients who use the site when we are done.

I’m interested in looking at Justin Tadlock’s Cleaner Gallery that Ruairi suggested. Anyone else have experience with that plugin?

Lisa at OG
    Participant

Hey @ruairi, just took a look at Cleaner Gallery. The beauty is that it uses the native wordpress gallery but more custom AND you can add a simple line of .php and copy the plugins css/gallery.css file into your theme’s stylesheet so you don’t even have to install the plugin? Have I understood that correctly? PLUS, it works alongside 18 different lightboxes like prettyphoto and fancybox.

The only limitation I can see is that you would have to use yet another plugin like WP Gallery Custom Links to link images through to pages. I only say that because I noticed someone tried to add html in the caption and it spit out the code into the caption — although, I suppose that could also just be that the HTML is being picked up in the title attribute? Besides, if someone didn’t need link functionality this would be a straight forward and simple alternative to a NextGen basic gallery. Anyone else want to add their feedback on this….

Summer
    Participant

@Mealtog, that’s weird… the first time I removed the /index.php/responsive-wordpress-gallery.html to take a look at the rest of the site, I got the the big red warning page. The bad URL in the msg was just me typoing again

And youre right, for me personally, I don’t think Jetpack is worth it, and wouldn’t use it as a first option for any client site I’d build. I understand and approve of pulling some of the WP features out and making them plugins, because some of those functions are more suited to being plugins. I just don’t see the need to make sure that a client signs up for a WordPress.com account in order to be able to use it. What happens if the person at that company leaves, taking their WP.com sign up with them, and all of a sudden the website breaks? Checking to see if Jetpack is still using a valid or active key isn’t typically going to be the first thing I’d check when I get that emergency phone call :)

For my media sites, as long as the Co-Authors Plus social add-on keeps working without me needing Jetpack or Slim Jetpack, I’m a happy camper!

@Lisa, I haven’t used Cleaner Gallery but I swear by the Members plugin also written by Justin Tadlock, so that is a good enough referral :)

Tracy
    Participant

I’m pretty tired of this whole thing, the website the plugins LOL. So I too am trying out the MaxGalleria now and initially liked it but not as much as I liked the NextGen (before the upgrades) I’m having trouble with the thumbnails stacking instead of displaying a gallery. I’m using the ‘tight’ skin. All browsers seem to be a bit different. Chrome stacks them on occasion until I refresh the browser a few times. Firefox seems ok (the times I checked) Safari seems to be the worst for stacking and doesn’t fix it when refreshed and Opera looks good but the light box opens up on a blank white background with no prev or next arrows etc.

Lisa at OG
    Participant

Hi Tracy, It does get frustrating that’s for sure. I have responded to your message in MaxGalleria support forums. I noticed this just happened with my demo gallery but only when using a gallery other than the standard skin. It does seem to be inconsistent. FYI, I just checked out your website in Safari 3.0 and Chrome 30 and it looks great. No stacking. I also just opened your website (the mallards?) into the latest version of Opera 17 and the arrow was working just fine (I can’t attach a screenshot here but let me know an Email and I could send to you)!

Lisa at OG
    Participant

Okay, I’ve sourced another alternative that is very simple and uses the native WordPress Media Gallery. I’ve installed a plugin called Lightbox Plus Colorbox by Dan Zappone. It is not so user friendly as NextGen but it does the trick. The dashboard is very simple and does give you some lightbox styles to choose from. Alternatively, you can add custom CSS styles which is great.

I checked it cross browser on the latest version of Opera, Chrome, Safari, IE, and Firefox as well as the iPad. Works fine. No issues. Loads quickly and I’m using it on WordPress 3.7 with no issue either.

BTW, I also added some html so that two captions below one of my images would be links to other pages and it worked with no issues although the captions don’t show in the lightbox — only in the original window. This is a good find until Dave can address the stacking issue happening in MaxGalleria in certain browsers.

Tom
    Participant

@mealtog … Your confidence in Jetpack is admirable, but they are not without fault. Please see this article from yoast.com: Jetpack and WordPress SEO. Joost deValk may also not be infallible, but he showed remarkable restraint when Jetpack walked all over courtesy and convention (and his plugin) a little less than a year ago.

Carousel IMHO is just another display tool of dozens available. (NextGen alone supports ~18.) I’m looking for something that reduces labour and adds management on the WP backend: image organization/access and author ease of selection and reference in the post editor. NextGen seems to have thrown these away with 2.0+.

Choose your next site design from over 350 Genesis themes.
    Updates via GenesisThemes.ca | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr

braddalton
    Participant

I use the native WordPress gallery which you can also extend using Slim Jetpack and a range of other plugins.

Tom
    Participant

@coralseait … It looks like you may have been replying to me in #69170 …

“would custom post types with category and tags help? Or is the need for physical folders on the file system as well?”

Physical folder support can be a big plus for organization and also updates with FTP; it’s one of the first things that attracted me to NGG

You have good point that images can be managed and referenced as just ‘data’, where the repository is just the image collection. I guess that would be an element of a strong contender to replace NGG. How would you use CPT and tags/tax to manage images and galleries? (seems like it could be alot of work!)

Choose your next site design from over 350 Genesis themes.
    Updates via GenesisThemes.ca | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr

Ruairi
    Participant

Lisa

I gave Cleaner Gallery a quick test using Genesis here is a quick mockup (note: I have used the Thickbox Script in the demo, because it is native to WordPress and will work for all themes) Cleaner Gallery – Genesis. I have just bought the Executive theme today and to say I’m impressed is an understatement. :)

The Cleaner Gallery is really simple and easy to configure. When installed, you simply go to Appearance > Cleaner Gallery. On the settings page there are options for image sizes, add captions etc… Then you have a few checkboxes. I ticked the Thickbox options which loads the css and js files for the demo.

The important part is to link the ‘External Image Script’, the plugin supports about 18, I think. So if you wanted to use prettyPhoto you would select prettyphoto from the dropdown menu.

The plugin does not support the scripts themselves so you’ll have to load them yourself in your …yourtheme/lib/(prettyphotos)

Then in your functions.php, you would load your css and js something like: (not tested)

/** Load PrettyPhoto **/
    function prettyphoto_scripts_method() {

wp_enqueue_script(
    		'prettyPhoto-min',
    		get_stylesheet_directory_uri() . '/lib/prettyPhoto/js/jquery-1.6.1.min.js',
    		array( 'jquery' )
    	);

wp_enqueue_style(
    		'prettyPhoto-css',
    		get_stylesheet_directory_uri() . '/lib/prettyPhoto/css/prettyPhoto.css',
    		array( 'jquery' )
    	);

wp_enqueue_script(
    		'prettyPhoto',
    		get_stylesheet_directory_uri() . '/lib/prettyPhoto/js/jquery.prettyPhoto.js',
    		array( 'jquery' )
    	);
    }

add_action( 'wp_enqueue_scripts', 'prettyphoto_scripts_method' );

And that is the configuration out of the way.

For your clients to use it is the same as using the default WordPress Gallery.

Create a post
    click ‘Add Media’
    click ‘Create Gallery’ in the top left of the screen
    select the images and add titles captions etc…
    click ‘Create New Gallery’ in the bottom right of the screen

Now, this is the important part – make sure on the ‘Link to’ dropdown option that you select ‘Media File’ (prettyPhoto, Thickbox, lightbox2 – ‘Media file’ relates to the Image Script you selected in the Appearence > Cleaner Gallery settings )

Then select the number of columns, I choose four in the demo.

click ‘Insert Gallery’

click ‘Publish or Update’

The thing about Cleaner Gallery is that you can sleep easy knowing that the code is sound, especially if you use the default Thickbox. If want to do something extraordinary with this plugin you can get support at themehybrid.com, it costs $29 per year – which is not just about the hybrid core framework – it’s great for all things WP. As of writing this, six days ago, on the support form for this very plugin a client reappeared after two years looking for support – basically having issues supporting html5 on IE8. They got an answer they needed, even though themehybrid no longer supports IE8. The client is a dev working for NASA! (I am not kidding!)

NASA still use IE8 as their default browser!

With Cleaner Gallery you know that it is going to play well with WP and all other plugins – it is easy to use, can be configured to support many scripts, you know it will last well into the future, the code is professional and there is always the option of having support being provided directly by the author.

Give it test run, see what you think?

I hope this helps

Ruairi

PS You can see default and Jetpack usage here :)

Ruairi Phelan CEO at Cyberdesign Craft.

Ruairi
    Participant

Lisa

I just read your more recent comments, sorry. :(

Here is an example of a caption link, on the apple image. As you can see the images themselves will link to there respective Image Page, but not to any other page/post.

I’m pretty sure that can be address though.

So, I guess I should read the rest of the posts before replying!

All the best

Ruairi

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by  Ruairi.
    • This reply was modified 1 year ago by  Ruairi.

dev
    Participant

Lisa:

Is there a setting that lets you determine how large the picture is when (thumbnail) clicked in gallery? Or does it just become the actual size of the picture? Can you perhaps make the thumbnails smaller in the gallery>

Do you think there is a way to integrate lightbox with this plugin?

Dev

Lisa at OG
    Participant

Dev, which plugin are you asking about? If you use the Lightbox Plus Colorbox plugin it allows you to set the Lightbox image to whatever size you would like it to be; for example, you could indicate width and height in % for responsive design or use pixels, whichever you want.

If you are referring to the thum size in the native wordpress media gallery, you can alter thumb size via the media settings but you will have to either re-upload your images to resize the thumbs OR use a plugin that regenerates thumbnails. I hope that answers your question?

Ruairi, thank you sir for that great info. I’ve been playing around with the cleaner gallery and it is something I think we will use. It is simple and as you say I like that it is less likely to conflict or break code. It is also good to know there is support available.

Mealtog
    Participant

@Ruairi, nice that you found something that you were looking for. May I ask, for Cleaner Gallery to work, do you have to add text in each image with rel=”prettyPhoto” before it will work properly?

I found the Next button after really having to look for it. Also tried it on mobile and could not tell if the gallery was responsive since all your images were on the small side.

I was also wondering if you could load a very large image into your gallery at http://cybercompositions.net/genesis-cleaner-gallery/

Thanks for your time here. I am curious to see the end result.

Ruairi
    Participant

Hey Mealtog

First, that isn’t prettyPhoto I have on line, that is Thickbox. You’ll find Thickbox in wp-includes/js/thickbox/thickbox.js. I used Thickbox in the demo because it is simply a matter of thicking a box and you’ll get a gallery lightbox.

I know you can see prettyPhoto js, thats because I was configuring prettyPhoto on my local sever just prior to uploading. But I haven’t yet fully configured prettyPhoto! I am sorry if that misled you. The small next button etc are all features of Thickbox.

The cleaner gallery plugin Mealtog, extends the WordPress [gallery] shortcode, so as you can see I had to place two large images in a single column to show you. You can place just a single image – I had never tried this before now, but it states (1 image of 1) – the plugin is for galleries. The larger images don’t display as well as the smaller in terms of responsiveness with Thickbox.

As a core file it would not be a great idea to edit that particular css file, besides I would prefer to use a prettyPhoto or lightbox2 gallery instead!

I’m not even one hundred percent I’ll use prettyPhoto just yet, but I’ll be using a responsive lightbox for the gallery for sure.

When I have finished I’ll post the results and the code I used.

Again, sorry if you thought that was prettyPhoto.

Ruairi

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.