Non-coder learning genesis

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Non-coder learning genesis

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Susan 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

colkav
    Participant

Hi,

Just re phrasing a previous question.. (thanks for your reply, Susan)

I created a mockup for a client using the free, non-Genesis, Suffusion theme, here

I want to create a revised version, but now i’m using Genesis, so the approach is very different to Suffusion!  I intend to get a similar, basic layout in place using Genesis, and build upon the design, and my knowledge of Genesis, over time.

It looks like I need to get my hands dirty with template files, PHP and CSS.  I want to develop a general understanding of what the code is doing, but I don’t intend to learn these languages. Am I asking too much?

I’m guessing at this point that I need to create a page template for the home page, but from here it gets a bit scary.

With these template files, can it be a case of copy / pasting code in a sort of ‘modular’ way?

Is there a graphical way to layout pages in grid  / column style, by using text widgets, for example?

From what i’ve read, you need to create page templates with widgetized areas.  Does this sound like the right approach?  Can a non-php / coder achieve this by copying / pasting, and learning from tutorials / how-to’s, without learning how to code?

I think i just need a push in the right direction, just a bit lost at the moment.  Any insight appreciated.

Many thanks,

colkav

• This topic was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by  colkav.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by  colkav.

Susan

Welcome back!

It looks like I need to get my hands dirty with template files, PHP and CSS.  I want to develop a general understanding of what the code is doing, but I don’t intend to learn these languages. Am I asking too much?

I don’t think you’re asking too much. Before I started with studiopress, I knew nothing about PHP and CSS. I’m not a technical expert, but hanging around the forum, and working on my own website, I just jumped right in, and learned along the way. And, yes, a novice can do this by copy/pasting, asking questions, getting pointed in the right direction to tutorials etc. That’s where we come into play here on the forums.

Ok, onto your site:

You’ve got two ways of approaching this – you can start with one of the free themes, in which case, you’ve got a foundation to build upon – the sample theme is a good start – you can download it here:

http://www.studiopress.com/free-themes/sample

Here’s a tutorial for getting started with the sample theme:

http://my.studiopress.com/docs/building-child-themes/

By starting off with a free theme, you don’t have to create any of the behind the scenes templates, you just have to layer on elements.

If you want to start from scratch, here’s a good tutorial:

http://www.artofblog.com/building-a-genesis-child-theme/

Susan @ Graphically Designing I offer theme customizations I tweet!
    I’ve taken up the challenge! – help me answer some of the unanswered posts

colkav
    Participant

Thanks Susan, that’s the answer / encouragement i was looking for. I’ll read , digest, and will be back, i’m sure.

Susan

You’re welcome!

Susan @ Graphically Designing I offer theme customizations I tweet!
    I’ve taken up the challenge! – help me answer some of the unanswered posts

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Non-coder learning genesis’ is closed to new replies.