Not able to comment even though Comments are open

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Not able to comment even though Comments are open

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  John 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

CreativeKristi
    Participant

hello! After installing a new design (which included installing Genesis and the Vintage Child Theme) on this site we can’t seem to get the ability to comment on older posts. We have everything unchecked in the Settings–>discussion tab so that commenting on older posts IS allowed but the comment form will not show up beneath the posts on single post pages and the ‘leave a comment’ link will not show up on older posts under the post title either. Here is an example post where you can see the previous comments but can not leave a new one: http://www.simplifylivelove.com/2012/06/happy-birthday-fruit-cake-a-tutorial.html

Any ideas?

I work at Creative Kristi Designs
    I play at Creative Kristi
    Affordable. Beautiful. Personal. Custom. Design for everyone.

John
    Participant

Are you using Jetpack for a comments plugin? Or something different?

John Sundberg | blackhillswebworks.com
    A WordPress developer’s toolbox: Firebug | WordPress Codex | Google ;)

AC
    Blocked

Go into your Discussion settings and see if there is a DATE LIMIT to comment. There’s a section that says something about not allowing comments that are X days old.

CreativeKristi
    Participant

@ Anitac — as I stated in the original inquiry “We have everything unchecked in the Settings–>discussion tab so that commenting on older posts IS allowed” I see that setting and that’s the first thing we checked out. It’s allowing comments for any post and yet the older the post the less likely there is a comment form showing.

@john we are just using the native wordpress commenting. No plugins for the commenting.

I work at Creative Kristi Designs
    I play at Creative Kristi
    Affordable. Beautiful. Personal. Custom. Design for everyone.

AC
    Blocked

Try these two things:

Go to the Genesis tab on the left – look to see that Comments on Posts is checked – if not – check it.
    Look on the individual post itself for the Discussion to see if the boxes are checked or unchecked.

John
    Participant

I was able to duplicate this on a new development site that I’m working on, and after looking on Google I found this solution, which I tried and it worked for me. It involves a database SQL query, but it works.

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/cant-get-my-comments-to-work-for-old-posts?replies=3

I’d still double-check the existence of a comment plugin of some sort. Something is adding a math captcha to the comment form, unless that’s included in WordPress now?

John Sundberg | blackhillswebworks.com
    A WordPress developer’s toolbox: Firebug | WordPress Codex | Google ;)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.