Not getting any plugin updates

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Not getting any plugin updates

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Sunil 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Sunil
    Participant

Hi,

It’s been some time that I’ve not received any plugin updates on my wordpress admin panel. Is that has something to do with the Genesis framework?

Usually I would see that there will be updates for my plugins every now and then. This is kind of worrying.

Regards,Sunil

David Chu
    Participant

No, Genesis would not impede plugin updates at all, I’m 98% certain. The only exception to that might be if your Genesis install has been damaged so much that the site doesn’t work.

If I were you, I would ask your host about that. Some hosting is always problematic for WordPress updates, and in that case, you could do manual plugin installs if necessary.

Good luck, Dave

Dave Chu · Custom WordPress Developer – likes collaborating with Designers

Anita
    Participant

@Sunil, have you received any updates that say you need to update WordPress itself? What’s the latest version you are using?

Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!
    Visit me here: Cre8tiveDiva.com | Tweet Me! | Plus Me!
    When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!

Sunil
    Participant

Hi Anitac,

I’m using wordpress version 3.5.1. Its the latest version anyway or isn’t it? It’s very strange that there hasn’t been any updates for any of my plugins so far. The updates section has been very quiet. I’m afraid something is wrong somewhere.

Recently I switched my DNS to cloudflare for the purpose of faster loading time of my website. My website is http://adultacnetreatmentreviews.com.

Could that be the reason? I’m not sure who to check with regarding this.

Thank You.

Regards,
    Sunil

David Chu
    Participant

Sunil,
    Have you checked the plugins’ homepages to see if they have updates? Also, I know an easy way to test this.

In the wordpress.org plugin site, pick a plugin, and then instead of installing the latest version, go to the Developers tab. Find an old version of the plugin, and download it. Install it using the upload method. You don’t even have to activate it. Then wait a bit, a few hours or a day, and see if you get the update notice.

If not, that’s when further investigation could be done, questioning the host, etc.

Dave

Dave Chu · Custom WordPress Developer – likes collaborating with Designers

Sunil
    Participant

Hi Dave,

That experiment sounds a bit scary to perform though it makes sense. Just wondering which would be a safe plugin to run that test.

But thanks for your recommendation Dave. Have you ever encountered such a thing with your wordpress site?

Anita
    Participant

Sunil, you could still do this – look at one of your plugins – one that didn’t come standard with your WP install. Go to the plugin on WP Plugins and see what version they have up there – then look at the version you have. Just go and check a few of the plugins on the plugin repository to see if they have a more current version available. If so, that’s an indication that something is wrong. Since you stated that you moved to CloudFlare – I would consult with them about how information comes through to your site from outside their server.

Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!
    When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!

Sunil
    Participant

Hi Anitac,

Alright! I’ll do that and probably check with cloudflare regarding that matter. Just for your info, even though my cloudflare account is a free account, they have reduced my site loading time to almost half. So its worth it.

Thanks! :)

Regards,
    Sunil

Sunil
    Participant

Hi Anitac,

I’ve checked the versions of some of my plugins on my site and compared it with the plugin versions available on wordpress.org. They all are the latest versions. So perhaps its just that there are no new versions of the plugins from the developers themselves.

I’ll just wait and see for another 2 weeks and see how it goes.

Anita
    Participant

One more suggestion – you should ask your host if they “automatically” update the plugins when they need it or it they will appear in your dashboard for you to manually update them. The reason is because if you make changes inside your plugins and they automatically update for you – they could overwrite your custom code.

Sunil
    Participant

Hi Anitac,

Ok. I’ve already sent out an email to my host to check on this issue. Thanks for your recommendations! :)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.