Old Forum going away July 1st : -(

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Old Forum going away July 1st : -(

This topic is: not resolved

Tagged: 

This topic contains 17 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  karenalenore 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

swilkins
    Participant

I am so disappointed that the old forums are going away. The note at http://www.studiopress.com/support/ says:

These forums have been set to read-only so you can browse the existing topics for any questions you may have — and this forum will be removed on July 1st, 2013.

The old forum is a wealth of information that can NOT be found anywhere else within StudioPress.com.

I do not understand the logic of removing the wealth of this valuable information. I have an issue and search the old forum and there is my problem and the solution.

Please do not remove the old forum.

• This topic was modified 10 months ago by  swilkins.
    • This topic was modified 10 months ago by  swilkins.

snakeair
    Participant

I will miss the old forum but as the Genesis Framework continues to evolve some of the coding fix’s may or may not work in the current version or mess things up even more.

This new forum is still new but it’s getting there with a wealth of knowledge. Latley for answer’s I’ve found them on the following links:

http://www.briangardner.com/code/

http://my.studiopress.com/snippets/

http://www.studiopress.com/faqs

http://my.studiopress.com/tutorials/

The admin or moderators on here would be able to answer your concerns much better but there are very smart members on this forum that is capable of helping resolve any issue besides the 1 on 1 support that StudioPress now provides.

swilkins
    Participant

I had 4 issues come up yesterday on different websites that I am working on. Did not find the problem or solution in the new forum or in the urls you have above.

I did find the problems mentioned and solutions in the old forum.

Additionally I ended up creating a ticket for one of the problems. The issue is well known to support, however not posted anywhere for others to find.

If there are common issues with Genesis themes, the solutions need to be posted somewhere if the old forum is closing down. as the only place I’ve been able to find answers is in the old forum.

snakeair
    Participant

I wonder if there could be some sticky threads with fix’s for the most asked questions. Sorta like a FAQ of some sort. One that moderators or the admin’s can continue to edit if they feel that some issues/problems keep getting asked over and over again.

Meh, I need to get some coffee so my real good idea’s come to me.

OliveBurbank
    Participant

I am devastated that the old forum is going away. Looking for information, following threads has helped me immensely. When I have questions I almost always end up at the old forum to search through the years of knowledge to find my answers and/or provide me a direction to purse based on the answers provided on various treads.

One of the huge benefits of Studio Press is the knowledge base created over the years. The information acquired over the years assists all types of users; taking this away puts many of us in a deep, deep, dark hole.

Right now I would like to search for an issue I am having – I can’t even access the old forum.

I am on bended knee asking for the old forum to stay available. There is too much knowledge there to not make it available for members – to just delete it is a crime.

swilkins
    Participant

This link isn’t working for you?
    http://www.studiopress.com/support/

essaysnark
    Participant

Agree with swilkins; losing the old forum is a big bummer. I use it a lot when I get stuck – which is often! This forum doesn’t have nearly the same breadth and depth, nor does it have search tools that are up to the task. The old forum is no joy to navigate now but I can often find what I need there with some digging. Not so here. :-(

ETA: I guess I’m also puzzled by why it would need to be taken down. I wasn’t a big fan of this new forum when it was rolled out but I understand that StudioPress needed to change things for their own business purposes, which is totally their prerogative. However, what’s the drain on resources in keeping a static set of pages alive on the ‘net? Is it really eating up that much in bandwidth/hosting costs? This doesn’t feel very customer-friendly.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by  essaysnark.
    • This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by  essaysnark.

works
    Participant

The old forums is a valuable piece of content indeed. Maybe if it is expensive to keep, it could be monetized (with ads or something), but just throwing it away seems rather a loss.

swilkins
    Participant

I would pay to have access to the Old Forum.

Even though Genesis Framework continues to evolve, the Old Forum is a wealth of information that will still be valuable.

The business decision to shut it down has never been explained even though I have asked in an email exchange with BG.

The new ticketing system also creates withholds of valuable information from other users once the issue has been resolved.

Would be nice to see a summary of issues each week and how they were resolved.

Linda Muller
    Participant

Please keep the old forum available. I use it just as much as this new version. If the Studiopress team is worried that someone might screw up their site because some of the info is dated then just put up a disclaimer – in big red letters: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! Come on… give us a break and let us continue to access the old forum. There are too many great tips in there to just throw it all away!

snakeair
    Participant

So when all the tips in the old forum will no longer work in the new frameworks, you still want it?

The thread creator should of contacted support about this as no moderator or studiopress staff has even replied in this thread yet. They must be busy answering support ticket’s.

I have not used the old forum since this new one was created. I got all my help through the ticket system or on this forum by helpful members.

essaysnark
    Participant

So when all the tips in the old forum will no longer work in the new frameworks, you still want it?

That’s a future state. The current state is, the old forum has very useful content.

[N]o moderator or studiopress staff has even replied in this thread yet.

This is actually a big reason why this forum is less valuable than the old one. There was a lot more participation by some key Genesis experts in the other one. No offense to everyone who’s trying to make this forum work, but the answers here are sometimes lacking (my own attempts to offer help included!).

flamerz
    Participant

Closing the old forum is a big loss.

I hope they keep it alive as read only.

swilkins
    Participant

Yes, the information will still be valuable. Just got to know what hooks are changing, what div names are changing, that css is moving away for IDs and to classes,

I emailed Brian G all my concerns when it was first announced that the Old Forum would be going away in a matter of time.

Got a nice form reply that kinda blew me off.

gailmail
    Participant

Oh yes, please don’t take down…I will end up driving you all crazy with new questions–as will others I am sure.

I would bet the traffic to the old site is huge, and you have to ask yourselves if MOST of that traffic will then come here with tons of questions….could be a nightmare from a support standpoint unless you are REALLY ready for it. Is the traffic to that site really gone?

Studiopress is very complicated unless you are very technical, and all the tutorials/help are written at a very high level (in other words, not very clear and complete, assumes a lot of prior knowledge).

Just been looking through this new forum and for the questions I have had, I see a LOT of unresolved/unanswered questions!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Old Forum going away July 1st : -(’ is closed to new replies.