on updating a child theme

Community Forums Forums General Discussion on updating a child theme

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  nutsandbolts 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

jhguynn
    Participant

I used Enterprise Pro v.2.0.0 and did some extensive customizations by changing css in the child theme’s style sheet. Now I see that Enterprise Pro v.2.0.1 is out, and I want to remain current.

What is the standard procedure for updating a child theme so I don’t lose the customizations I’ve worked so hard to make?

Thanks.

• This topic was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  jhguynn.
    • This topic was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  jhguynn.

AC
    Blocked

I am not sure about a standard, but I use DiffChecker.com to run the codes to see where they changed codes.

jhguynn
    Participant

Anitac:

Thanks for diffchecker.com. New to me, but immensely useful! Some follow up questions:

(1) Do I simply download the new version of the child theme, delete the old version of the child theme, and then install and activate the new version of same child theme? I.e. a complete overwrite?

(2) If yes to #1, then I’m thinking I need to check for changes in the following theme-specific files and folders when updating a child theme:

functions.php – I’ve added custom functions here
    style.css – obviously I’ve edited this heavily
    js folder (all .js files) – I’ve added custom .js here

Can you think of any other areas I might want to watch out for changes (to avoid overwriting my own customizations)?

Thanks for the help.

nutsandbolts

Just to throw my two cents in here – there’s really no reason to jump through all these hoops. Any changes to the child themes are minor (many of the Pro themes are being updated right now simply to remove all the rem values) and nothing in the child theme is going to harm functionality since that’s contained in the framework. There are honestly no good reasons I can think of to update a child theme; if there was a major issue or vulnerability, you would be notified.

Andrea Whitmer, Owner, Nuts and Bolts Media
    I provide dev and training services for web designers • Find me on Twitter and Google+

jhguynn
    Participant

Nutsandbolts: thanks for your comment and perspective. Pretty sure you just saved me a load of work. Curious: why the push to remove rem values?

nutsandbolts

I think the StudioPress development team added rem values in anticipation of what they thought would be a trend, but found that it confused users and didn’t really become as popular as they thought. Plus it added usually 100-200 lines to the stylesheet that weren’t necessary.

Andrea Whitmer, Owner, Nuts and Bolts Media
    I provide dev and training services for web designers • Find me on Twitter and Google+

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.