Please Help! Backcountry Home Widget Areas not working

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Please Help! Backcountry Home Widget Areas not working

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  David Chu 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

DanielleM
    Participant

I am using the Genesis 1.9.2 theme with a Backcountry child theme.

If you look at the Backcountry demo under the slider there are two featured posts with images and excerpts. I am trying to get this same look on my page.

When I add the Genesis Featured Page widget to the Home Top option I see the featured post with an image. But I’m trying to get the column look (instead of 1 post per row, I want 2 like the demo). I’m trying to use the Home Right and Home Left options to do this. When I use the Genesis Featured Post widget in the Home left or Home right areas nothing shows up on the home page.

It’s like the Backcountry Home Left and Home Right widget areas don’t even work. (I’ve tested other widgets in these areas and nothing shows up).

Please help!

http://mmmsocialmedia.com

David Chu
    Participant

Hi,
    You’re using a static page as Home. In almost any modern theme, I’m afraid that if you want to use widgets that are Home-specific, you’ll need to set this: Settings…. Reading, and for “front page displays” you need to choose “Your latest Posts”, even if that’s non-intuitive. That’s how nearly all the themes are set up nowadays, whether made by Studiopress or not. If you choose a static page, the widgets won’t function.

To get around this for some static content on Home, sometimes there are widgets that will accommodate this well. It is also possible to make widgets work on a static home page, but this requires some custom programming.

Dave

Dave Chu · Custom WordPress Developer – likes collaborating with Designers

DanielleM
    Participant

Thanks! I’m up and running by adding a bit of code and not using a widget at all. :)

David Chu
    Participant

Excellent!

Dave Chu · Custom WordPress Developer – likes collaborating with Designers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.