Porting a blog design to another one

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Porting a blog design to another one

This topic is: not resolved

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  martinmessier 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

martinmessier
    Participant

Hi everyone,

One of my blogs has a design that works very well. I want to port it over to another blog of mine.

I’m using the Nomadic theme on the blog that has the design I want. How do I need to proceed, what files do I need to port over and what do I need to copy and paste to clone the design over to the other blog? Also, is there a way I can do this in the background while maintaining the current version on display until it’s all good to go?

Thanks for your help.

Martin

Robin
    Participant

If it is just the design, no content, then all you need to do is download your theme folder (including the genesis theme folder) and upload it to the second site. Once it’s in there, you can do a live preview of your theme and make at least some adjustments, like picking the primary navigation, but some things just have to be done after the theme is activated, like widgets. But if most of it is just the design the transition is usually pretty easy.

If I don’t want the new theme setup visible until I’ve got things arranged, I usually just use a maintenance mode plugin and hide the site because I know it will be quick, but I have seen people recommend theme preview plugins. Here is one I think I’ve seen mentioned: Theme Test Drive, but YMMV as I have never used it–there may be a better one. I googled wordpress theme preview plugin and got several hits. HTH

I do the best I can with what I’ve got. (say hey on twitter)

martinmessier
    Participant

Hey Robin,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. That really helped.

Cheers,

Martin

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.