Posts Overlapping Widgets in Genesis Featured Grid

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Posts Overlapping Widgets in Genesis Featured Grid

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  cvillelady 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

cvillelady
    Participant

I have several category pages with custom widgets. I am using the Genesis Featured Grid Plugin so that I can keep the featured posts separated into columns.

After installing the plugin, the columns appeared as expected. However, the first category post shifted up and over the featured grid widgets. When looking at the Faith page, I see that some of the widgets are outside of the div.faith-category. I’m not sure if I need to edit the CSS or change how I have some of the hooks for the widgets.

Site Link: http://lauralynnstudio.info/jennifers/faith

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

Bill Murray
    Participant

#1 If you are only planning to have 2 posts in each “grid area”, consider dropping the Genesis Featured Grid plugin and using Nick’s Genesis Featured Widget Amplified plugin. You’d then set the widget to display 2 posts in a widget area of some specified width with a float of left. With the right margins & padding, you’d get 2 columns of posts.

#2 If you adopt #1, you can drop the text widgets for your titles.

#3 Your div.faith-category needs a height, as will each of your widget areas. If you use a tool such as Firebug and you hover over the div in the HTML and the hover in the browser doesn’t match the div, you know that something is messed up. In my quick tests, a height on the div.faith-category fixes some, but not all, of the problems.

Hope that helps.

Web: https://wpperform.com or Twitter: @wpperform

We do managed WordPress hosting.

cvillelady
    Participant

Hi Bill,

Thanks so much for your help so far.

I now have the Genesis Featured Post Amplified Plugin installed.

Looking specifically at the Faith Page you’ll see that I got the widgets to appear in columns. Since you last looked at the code, I changed the widgets to Faith-Top and Faith-Bottom. I’m still running into a problem with how I have the CSS because the posts are showing at the bottom of the page. If I use a widget other than Featured Post Amplified, the posts appear in the correct place.

cvillelady
    Participant

I’m going to close this thread because I was able to fix the problem with the posts.

After adding <div class=”clearer”>&nbsp;</div> to the functions.php file for each of my custom widgets, I was able to fix it.

Thanks again, Bill!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Posts Overlapping Widgets in Genesis Featured Grid’ is closed to new replies.