Problems uploading Prose Child Theme

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Problems uploading Prose Child Theme

This topic is: not resolved

Tagged: 

This topic contains 22 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  NewSeasonDesign 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Chrissy Marquardt
    Participant

NewSeasonDesign
    Participant

I don’t know if this will help or not, but I always activate Genesis before I install the child themes.

Chrissy Marquardt
    Participant

Thank you everyone for your response. Hope I didnt come across as too crabby in my post – it was late last night and I was having a heck of a time figuring out what I was doing wrong. When I download any themes my Mac automatically unzips the file so I usually have to go in and rezip everything and rename the zip file ( herein lies my mistake) .The ftp file has to be EXACTLy /wp-content/themes/genesis for the child theme to recognize the parent theme. I had it as wp-content/themes/GenesisFramework ( as in I renamed my zip file GenesisFramewrk, it auto defaults to Archive.zip) which is why the child themes were like ” Where is my mama”

Everything now seems to be in working order. Next step, customizing my theme. Boy there is so much to learn to  this web design stuff but I am having a lot of fun :). Thanks again and I hope my problem will help someone else for future reference :)

Chrissy Marquardt
    Participant

Thanks to Andrea from Copyblogger for pointing this out to me :) !

nickthegeek
    Keymaster

Glad you found the issue. I was assuming that it was a problem with the theme folder name. The following is my standard response for this zip issue. It includes a couple of solutions so you might find it helpful.

I recently switched to using a Mac and that first week this issue caused me endless frustrations. It turns out there is a default setting that unzips downloaded files and then deletes the zip file automatically. I guess this is handy unless you need the zip files like WordPress users do.

I found there are two simple solutions. You can disable this option in the browser preferences. I just looked and the option says “Open safe files after downloading” and is in the “General” tab. Once disabled you should be able to download zip files like normal.

The other option is to press “control” while clicking on your folder. Select to “compress” the folder and you will get a new zip file easy as that. It is super important that the Genesis folder be named “genesis” exactly like that. It can’t be “genesis-2″ or anything else like that.

I hope this helps ease your frustration and gets you back on track.

mdeschat
    Participant

Please please help.  I update using http://sitesetupkit.com/upgrading-prose/ these guidelines.

Website is all messed up now.

http://www.drdeschat.com

mdeschat
    Participant

I’ve uploaded new prose child theme and now my website is really messed up.  Here are some pictures.  I had to activate a different theme while I figure out what is going on.

My website is  drdeschat.com

For screenshot

http://www.drdeschat.com/2013/02/uncategorized/help-prose-update/

NewSeasonDesign
    Participant

It seems there’s still an issue with Prose. I just updated mine yesterday and had to check the Minify CSS box in the design settings. It killed my Google webfonts, but it took care of the crazy look. Hope that helps!

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.