Prose and update Genesis 1.9.2

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Prose and update Genesis 1.9.2

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  cnvi 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

mkatty
    Participant

Hi all,

As usual, I get so nervous with updates… sooo, I have an older site built with Prose and Genesis 1.9.2. If I do the updates, both with Genesis & WP, I imagine I’ll have to do something about the html 5 change, correct? And what comes first? Sorry, I know that I’ve read the ‘which comes first’ thing somewhere, just don’t have it right now. Maybe point me in the right direction…?

Thanks!
    ~Kitty

http://montello-lake-district.com/

David Chu
    Participant

Kitty,
    Caution is sensible, so that’s great. The good news is that Genesis 2 is coded so that if you upgrade a site that was pre-Genesis-2, it will not automatically apply HTML5. You have to “tell” it to use HTML5 with a particular line of code.

And you would sensibly ask, what if I update Prose, will that run into the HTML5 issue? Interestingly, not yet. Prose has not yet been released in HTML5 (if it were, it would be labeled “Prose Pro”). They have updated many themes for HTML5, but many are still lagging behind, and they don’t give any timetable.

That said, a developer could update your theme to HTML5 anyway if you wanted that at some point. It wouldn’t be that big of a job, but of course it wouldn’t be a freebie upgrade.

I know that usually when I do a Genesis upgrade, typically the most I have to do is re-select the primary and secondary menus. Of course, it’s safest to make backups of the files and database first.

Hope that helps!
    Dave

Dave Chu · Custom WordPress Developer – likes collaborating with Designers

mkatty
    Participant

Dave, thank you!!! Here goes nothin’! :)
    ~Kitty

David Chu
    Participant

You’re welcome! :)

Dave Chu · Custom WordPress Developer – likes collaborating with Designers

cnvi
    Participant

How does one actually go about updating from Genesis 1.9 to Genesis 2.12? I can’t find any howto’s on this site or others.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Prose and update Genesis 1.9.2’ is closed to new replies.