Prose theme – trouble adding custom widget

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Prose theme – trouble adding custom widget

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  David Chu 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hi, I would like to add some text below the header and above the content area so I decided to add a custom widget area. In the function.php file, I have added the following code:

genesis_register_sidebar( array(

‘id’        => ‘before-content-ad’,

‘name’      => ‘Before Content Ad’,

‘description’   => ‘This is a sidebar that goes before the content.’,

) );

add_action( ‘genesis_before_content_sidebar_wrap’, ‘child_before_content_ad_sidebar’ );

/** Loads a new sidebar before the content */

function child_before_content_ad_sidebar() {

echo ‘<div class=”before-content-ad”>';

dynamic_sidebar( ‘before-content-ad’ );

echo ‘</div>';

I expect to see a new custom widget area on dashboard but there is none .  What did I do wrong? I am very new to wordpress so please point me to the right direction.

David Chu

Your code looks good to me, at least at a glance. My best guess would be that your single quotes are not the right kind. I would try using the straight up-and-down ones. Yours are listing to starboard, so to speak. :-) Same deal with the double-quotes.

Dave Chu · Custom WordPress Developer – likes collaborating with Designers

You need to add the code to your init.php file.

Copy the code from the view raw link and paste it at the end of the file using a text editor like Notepad ++

Code not displaying? Grab it on Github.

You can also change the hook position if needed.

Thank you Brad and Dave! I is working perfectly. A lot of tutorial points me to adding the code to functions.php but Prose theme seems to handle things differently.

Thanks again wordpress community!

David Chu

You’re welcome. Functions.php is the normal way in Studiopress and regular WordPress themes. You can also add it via your own home-brewed function file.

But it is true, Prose has a lot of custom code that’s different from other Studiopress themes. I’ve wrestled with it a number of times – it’s a real oddball, but has some cool functionality.

Dave Chu · Custom WordPress Developer – likes collaborating with Designers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.