Question about Executive Theme – setting the home page

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Question about Executive Theme – setting the home page

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  davej1963 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

davej1963
    Participant

I have a site http://seniorcarehandbook.com/appleton-wisconsin that uses Executive Pro Theme. I’m going to designate a static page for my Home page. However, when I do this, I get the title of the page in the upper left corner — not what I want.

How do I remove the title from showing up on the page? Or is there another solution?

Thanks in advance.

nutsandbolts

You can remove the title by adding the following to functions.php:

/** Remove the page title from the home page */
    add_action('get_header', 'child_remove_page_titles');
    function child_remove_page_titles() {
      if (is_front_page()) {
        remove_action('genesis_post_title', 'genesis_do_post_title');
      }
    }

Andrea Whitmer, Owner, Nuts and Bolts Media
    I provide dev and training services for web designers • Find me on Twitter and Google+

davej1963
    Participant

I tried that and it didn’t work so I’m doing it wrong. Could you tell me EXACTLY where to put it?

nutsandbolts

Oops, I just noticed I gave you the wrong hook. Try this one:

/** Remove the page title from the home page */
    add_action('get_header', 'child_remove_page_titles');
    function child_remove_page_titles() {
      if (is_front_page()) {
        remove_action('genesis_entry_header', 'genesis_do_post_title');
      }
    }

I provide dev and training services for web designers • Find me on Twitter and Google+

davej1963
    Participant

I know this is dumb but exactly where do I put this code?

nutsandbolts

Go to Appearance > Editor and your child theme’s stylesheet will open. Look in the column to the right, find functions.php, and click on it to open it. If you aren’t used to editing functions.php, I usually recommend that you create a space in-between two other functions (a blank line above and below) and paste it there – sometimes pasting things at the end can cause issues.

My standard word of warning: It is safe to edit the functions.php file in your child theme, but sometimes if you paste something incorrectly or leave out a comma or something, it can break your site. Before you touch your functions file, be sure you have access to your site via FTP and/or your hosting control panel so you can edit the functions file there if you need to remove code you pasted in.

If you absolutely don’t feel comfortable making this kind of change, you can install the Genesis Title Toggle plugin. It gives you a checkbox on each page to determine whether the title will be shown.

davej1963
    Participant

I did the title toggle plug-in and it worked great, thanks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.