Redirection Plugin Not Necessary Anymore?

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Redirection Plugin Not Necessary Anymore?

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Summer 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Mealtog
    Participant

I was wondering if anyone here knows if Genesis or recent WordPress installs come with auto redirection. Say you change a slug in a post, will redirection automatically happen from the old URL? Not sure if Yoast will also take care of this too so trying to figure out if I even need a redirection plugin anymore.

Summer
    Participant

Funny thing. It does seem to work, but for me it doesn’t seem to work all of the time, and I haven’t figured out what the difference is between when it does and doesn’t work.

What’s worse is I am still cleaning up tons of 404s in my Webmasters Tools reports, and about 10% of them should fall into that auto-redirect category.

And what else I didn’t know? Even if you’ve had that 301 redirect in place for 6 years, if you remove it thinking you don’t need it anymore, BZZZT, you do, you do. The price you pay for having websites that have been around for 10-15 years :) To be fair, a lot of those old links were from static HTML pages, or ancient Movable Type posts, and there’s no way those get auto-redirected to anything.

So if your sites are linke mine, you will still need a redirect plugin, or a really long htaccess file with the redirects, until the end of time.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.