Remove trackbacks from posts using functions.php

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Remove trackbacks from posts using functions.php

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 16 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  jkrytus 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

cookieandkate

Hi,

I don’t want trackbacks to appear on my blog posts. I’ve googled and searched the forums for a hook to remove the trackbacks from the posts/pages but can’t find anything.

To clarify, I do not want to uncheck the following option on the discussions setting page: Allow link notifications from other blogs (pingbacks and trackbacks).

That feature is useful in helping me know about mentions of my content on other websites. I just don’t want the trackbacks/pingbacks appearing on my posts or pages.

Thank you!
    Kate

P.s. I am using the Magazine Pro theme, if that is relevant.

emasai
    Participant

You could probably hide them with css, that is if they use a particular tag.

Need Website Customization or a Responsive CSS fix? Contact Me
    Lynne emasai.com

cookieandkate

That’s an idea. I want to remove them from the page altogether, though, since google doesn’t look kindly on links that are built into the code but don’t appear on the page.

braddalton
    Participant

You should be able to remove the code in your child themes functions file which adds them. Which theme are you using?

cookieandkate

I like that idea. My theme is Magazine Pro.

Thank you for your help!

cookieandkate

I can’t seem to figure this out. I tried adding the following to functions.php, but it didn’t do anything:
    remove_action( ‘genesis_pings’, ‘genesis_do_pings’ );

The Genesis comments.php includes the following:

do_action( 'genesis_before_pings' );
    do_action( 'genesis_pings' );
    do_action( 'genesis_after_pings' );

I want pings to be gone!

braddalton
    Participant

Strange that you have them displayed by default because i didn’t think any theme does that out of the box.

jkrytus
    Participant

Mine has them set by default and like cookieandkate, I would love for them to go away. They are not attractive at all. I’m using the Corporate Theme.

Example

• This reply was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by  jkrytus.
    • This reply was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by  jkrytus.

braddalton
    Participant

I don’t have a copy of that theme however you should be able to remove the code. Does the theme developer provide support?

jkrytus
    Participant

Studiopress is the developer

http://my.studiopress.com/themes/corporate/

braddalton
    Participant

Don’t think so. Try the discussion settings.

cookieandkate

Well, I don’t want to turn off trackbacks because they help me discover cases of stolen content. Surely there is a way to just remove them from the posts/pages instead? I’m really frustrated that Studiopress doesn’t offer this option and won’t help me find a solution.

jkrytus
    Participant

Well, I don’t want to turn off trackbacks because they help me discover cases of stolen content. Surely there is a way to just remove them from the posts/pages instead? I’m really frustrated that Studiopress doesn’t offer this option and won’t help me find a solution.

Ditto that.

cookieandkate

I emailed Studiopress support about the issue. They told me to turn off “Enable Trackbacks” on the Genesis Theme settings page. They told me that I would still receive notifications in the dashboard, but the trackbacks won’t appear on the page, which is exactly what I want to achieve. I turned off “Enable Trackbacks” and the trackbacks are gone from my posts/pages.

I am building a local test site now, though, so I have yet to see if I will receive notifications in the dashboard… I hope so!

thingsforboys

now that you are live, are you receiving notification for trackbacks as you hoped?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.