Removing Footer

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Removing Footer

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 17 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jen Baumann 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

deconq
    Participant

I am trying to completely replace my footer with a custom one. This line of code, recommended in the code snippets page:

remove_action( 'genesis_footer', 'genesis_do_footer' );

I put that line of code into my functions.php file, but it doesn’t remove the footer like it should be doing. I can add in a new custom footer with add_action, but it just puts it on top of the existing footer without removing it.

Any ideas for why the code isn’t working? Everything else in my functions.php file works fine.

Jen Baumann
    Keymaster

What theme are you using?

If you need technical support for your theme please file a ticket.

The forums are community based. Staff only monitors the forum for issues relating to the forum itself and to redirect users to where they need to go.

deconq
    Participant

My own custom child theme based on the basic framework.

Jen Baumann
    Keymaster

If you haven’t added any other functions to move it, then that should work. Any plugins that may be altering things?

The forums are community based. Staff only monitors the forum for issues relating to the forum itself and to redirect users to where they need to go.

deconq
    Participant

I deactivated all my plugins and the default footer’s still there. I also tried creating a new blank child theme with that function call, looked at the live preview, footer was still there.

braddalton
    Participant

Install the Genesis Simple Hooks Plugin http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/genesis-simple-hooks/

and find:

genesis_footer Hook

This hook, by default, outputs the content of the footer (inside the #footer div).

Unhook genesis_do_footer() function from this hook? (Unhook this function to remove your footer)

deconq
    Participant

I’m an advanced user, I don’t need a bloated plugin. A plugin is just code after all, so surely I’d be able to achieve the same effect by writing the code myself in functions.php. Only I can’t…

braddalton
    Participant

/** Customize the entire footer */
    remove_action( 'genesis_footer', 'genesis_do_footer' );
    add_action( 'genesis_footer', 'custom_footer' );
    function custom_footer() {
    ?>
    © Copyright 2012 My Domain · All Rights Reserved · Powered by WordPress · Admin
    <?php
    }

Resource

deconq
    Participant

Sorry to be rude Brad but judging by that ‘solution’ it looks like you haven’t even read my original post.

Jen, do you have any ideas?

braddalton
    Participant

If you installed the Simple Hooks plugin you can remove the footer and then use the code to customize your own.

I tested this and it works.

The code comes from StudioPress and so does the plugin.

deconq
    Participant

OK I tested the plugin and it worked, but I’d still rather not have to install a bloated multi-purpose plugin where I should be able to accomplish the same thing with a single line of code in functions.php.

If the plugin works for me, then why doesn’t the function call work for me? I guess my question now is – what code is the plugin using to remove the footer?

Jen Baumann
    Keymaster

What’s your url?

deconq
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.

deconq
    Participant

I was wondering, perhaps the reason the plugin works but functions.php doesn’t is because my child theme code gets run before the Genesis code is, so effectively I remove the footer before it’s even added and then Genesis adds it back in. Whereas in a plugin the plugin code gets run after the theme code? Does that sound right?

But then that raises the question, why does the functions.php code seem to work for other users but not me?

Jen Baumann
    Keymaster

Genesis code needs to run before the child theme can. Unless you are putting the footer code before the init line. It should just go toward the bottom.

When you tested on the live site, did you disable total cache? Your footer is in the right location for this to work, that’s why I wanted a url :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Removing Footer’ is closed to new replies.