Responsive Design – How to center a div on small resolutions

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Responsive Design – How to center a div on small resolutions

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  MrNerdy 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

MrNerdy

I am using the Genesis starter theme and placed the ‘Simple Social Icons’-plugin in my right header widget area.
    Within the menu you can select the alignment of the icons (left, right, center).

While I want the icons to right align on large resolutions, I would like them to center on resolutions widths of less than 767px; i. e. I placed the following code in my style css in order to override the alignright-class:

@media only screen and (max-width: 767px) {

.simple-social-icons .alignright {
    		text-align: center;
    		float: none;
      		margin-left: auto;
      		margin-right: auto;
    		display: inline-block;
    	} 

Unfortunatley, this does not work. The alignright-class is still applied: .alignright { float: right; text-align: right; }.

I am coming from a Bootstrap-background, where I am used to hardcode my CSS / HTML working with the responsive classes of the framework, which is honestly so much more flexible than WordPress.

Is there a tutorial / article that explains how to work and modify the responsive classes in Genesis, e.g. how to make divs invisibile on small resolutions, how to implement a Bootstrap-style menu?

Would be great if you could advice me how to get this done.

Thanks a lot for your help.

ramseyp
    Participant

It sounds like your CSS isn’t specific enough, if the .alignright rules are still in effect. Can you change up the selectors so the specificity increases?

MrNerdy

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I just realized that the CSS of the plugin (Simple Social Icons) is constantly overwriting my child theme’s style.css. I already tried to center the icons within the plugin menu and then apply the following code for higher resolution media queries; however, wihtout success:

.simple-social-icons ul.aligncenter {
    		text-align: right !important; 
    	}

.simple-social-icons ul.aligncenter li {
    		display: inline-block !important;
    		float: right !important;
    	}

Any idea how to make sure that the plugin’s CSS-styles are overwritten?

MrNerdy

Just found a working solutions:

@media only screen and (min-width : 768px) and (max-width : 2560px)  {

.simple-social-icons ul.aligncenter {
    		text-align: right !important; 
    	}

}
    • This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by  MrNerdy.
    • This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by  MrNerdy.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.