Restore theme design settings (colors, sizes, margins, etc) from backup file

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Restore theme design settings (colors, sizes, margins, etc) from backup file

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 24 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  tracyBCarpenter 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

dogleg.com
    Participant

OMG–what next?

Now I did something to set my theme back to a previous version/setting. I corrected my SQL database (restored from my backup file from my WP backup plugin) but my blog pages are all messed up–colors back to what I had them at 2 weeks ago, etc. My backup is from yesterday evening at 8 p.m.  That won’t correct everything but will save me about 3 days worth of work if I can get my design settings back. I have Prose.

I have tried uploading and replacing various WP and Theme folders via Filezilla–but nothing changes (although all the files are transferred successfully–over 1,000 of them). I need some serious help before I jump out the window.

Thanks so much for any help you can give…

Paula

• This topic was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  Susan. Reason: edited to remove user name and password
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  Susan. Reason: edited to remove user name and password

dogleg.com
    Participant

Sorry–I also posted this in Discussions, but no one replied…

I did something by accident to set my theme back to a previous version/setting. I corrected my SQL database (restored from my backup file from my WP backup plugin) but my blog pages are all messed up–colors back to what I had them at 2 weeks ago, etc. My backup is from yesterday evening at 8 p.m.  That won’t correct everything but will save me about 3 days worth of work if I can get my design settings back. I have Prose.

I have tried uploading and replacing various WP and Theme folders via Filezilla–but nothing changes (although all the files are transferred successfully–over 1,000 of them). I need some serious help before I jump out the window.

Thanks so much for any help you can give…

Paula

AC
    Blocked

NEVER PUT YOUR USER ID AND PASSWORD UP HERE!! That’s how you can get hacked! This is an OPEN FORUM!

AC
    Blocked

… sorry for yelling. Have you checked Google Cache for your previous site? Sometimes you can find it and retrieve you CSS from there.

Susan

My backup is from yesterday evening at 8 p.m.

What did you use to backup? That will help determine how you will restore from your backup.

Susan @ Graphically Designing I offer theme customizations I tweet!
    I’ve taken up the challenge! – help me answer some of the unanswered posts

Susan

http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Backups

Since Genesis is a theme installed in the default theme folders, there are no extra special steps.

dogleg.com
    Participant

I used the plugin Simple Backups.

The instructions in the wordpress.org sheet are not helpful–my database is there. Do I have to load something else into my database besides my SQL backup file?

Susan

From the plug-in’s website:
    Restoring Backups
    The Simple Backup Plugin does not offer any features to restore backup files. Most likely if you should need to restore backups you will not have access to the plugin. For that reason the plugin creates the backup files in standard formats. Database backup files can be restored with any database management tools. File backups can be restored via FTP or other similar methods.

dogleg.com
    Participant

No, I hadn’t checked. I just did, and there was no information.

What is the point in having a plugin (Simple Backups) if you can’t get your information back?

dogleg.com
    Participant

I have the backup files. I used the one ending in SQL to restore my database.

I have tried 7 times to use the other file in some way to restore my info via Filezilla, and although it goes through thousands of files and says they are transferred, nothing is done. I am doing something wrong?

Can anyone give me steps to do this?

dogleg.com
    Participant

Well, after reloading the file via FTP numerous times, my changes still haven’t returned. Simple Backup apparently does not work; does anyone have any recommendations for a backup system that will actually restore your blog to its previous state?

Thanks–
    Paula

AC
    Blocked

What is your site URL so I can try to help you?

dogleg.com
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.

AC
    Blocked

I have to say, just because you try everything your way, doesn’t mean that someone else may not have a different way. Prose is a different beast – read this – http://code.garyjones.co.uk/prose-style-sheets/.

Check to see if you have moved the appropriate CSS files over to the server. Now, there is a statement in here that says, “Every time you save or reset the design settings, this file gets re-written …..” But, check your backup from 8pm and make sure you have copied the correct CSS files into the correct directories on the server.

dogleg.com
    Participant

Hi–I am looking at the garyjones page you sent to me, and he talks about editing the css—-that is not what I have lost. I never change in there, since that file will always be overwritten with new updates.
    The area I want back is my (on toolbar) GENESIS —-> Design Settings, which are global styles, font colors, margins, wrap, navigation bar and box colors, etc. Shouldn’t those choices be something that is saved if my theme has been saved?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.