Restore theme design settings (colors, sizes, margins, etc) from backup file

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Restore theme design settings (colors, sizes, margins, etc) from backup file

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 24 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  tracyBCarpenter 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

dogleg.com
    Participant

Maybe this file I have (my backup folder)  needs to be “FTP’d” up to the GENESIS theme, and not my Prose theme.–is this possible??

AC
    Blocked

I believe those separate CSS files control that area since that’s where you can change the colors. At this point, I think you need to submit a support ticket to Studiopress and refer to this discussion. I don’t think I can offer you too much more assistance.

dogleg.com
    Participant

OK, thanks anyway.

Andrea Rennick
    Keymaster

Have you asked your webhost to help restore a backup?

Anything saved in a setting in the admin area is saved in the *database* – not in the file system.

If you cannot get the database properly restored, then you’ll have to start from where it left off.

We really can’t do anything in the help desk to help with that part.

**forum signature**
    If you need technical support for your theme please file a ticket.

The forums are community based. Staff only monitors the forum for issues relating to the forum itself and to redirect users to where they need to go.

Twitterholic

dogleg.com
    Participant

Andrea–

I just submitted my support ticket, so I guess you can let them know to disregard it.

My host assured me that the database is there, as I had emptied it (“drop” was the term I clicked on) and reloaded my backup file into it. So, I think that would have taken care of replacing my changes, wouldn’t it?  (I really don’t know what I’m doing, and that is why I am in this trouble, and why I have been working on this for a month now…)

Is there a way to upload/FTP this other backup file I have (NOT the SQL one) into a Genesis section of Filezilla as opposed to the WP or Prose ones I have been replacing? I don’t want to end up erasing everything!

Thanks

Paula

dogleg.com
    Participant

and, I am starting from scratch on all my adjustments/design settings.

Is there anyway I can copy this section of the theme for future reference in case this happens again?

Thanks

Andrea Rennick
    Keymaster

As I stated before – the design settings in the admin area are saved in the database. Not the files.

your host is the best one to help restore the database.

**forum signature**
    If you need technical support for your theme please file a ticket.

The forums are community based. Staff only monitors the forum for issues relating to the forum itself and to redirect users to where they need to go.

Twitterholic

wendycholbi
    Participant

Paula, to prevent this from happening in the future, go to Genesis –> Import/Export. Check the two checkboxes for “Theme Settings” and “Design Settings” in the section labeled Export Genesis Settings File (SEO Settings are optional, depending on whether you’re using the Genesis SEO tools or something else like a plugin for your SEO). Then click the blue Download File button.

That .json file will contain all of your Genesis Theme Settings AND Genesis Design Settings (the latter are unique to Prose). You can import it into a Genesis/Prose installation (using the top part of the Genesis –> Import/Export screen labeled Import Genesis Settings File) and it will overwrite the theme and design settings.

Exporting that .json file is a useful step to take when backing up your site (and testing, precisely so you can restore design settings to a previous version), but it only contains the theme/design settings — you’ll still need a separate way to back up the database and files (which sounds like what Simple Backups is supposed to do).

I love WordPress, Genesis, and the Prose child theme (my complete guide to using Prose is here: SiteSetupKit.com). Say hi on Twitter: @wendycholbi

dogleg.com
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.

tracyBCarpenter
    Participant

Not sure if this is still an issue, or if you have your backup files, but I would look in /wp-content/uploads/prose for settings.css and settings.php

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.